change oil soon light/ on my pontiac grand prix

gt-titan

well the light came on in the wifes car, change oil soon. so i changed the oil new every thing plus tune up. but the light is still coming on at start up. is there a reset i need to hit or should i just reset the ecu? thought id ask my crew before i made some calls. thanks. jeff

When my service 'light' comes on in the Audi I have to reset it manually. There is a procedure for it in my owners manual (the little crap glove box book) so it might be in yours too.

On any car I know of they vary the interval of the oil change from sensor inputs that are already on the car. Like throttle (load), temps. I.E. if you get on it while the car is still cold, it might make it shorter, if you get on it while the car is warm it might make it shorter too but not as much as the previous situation. And if you are easier on the car than they assume the average person is, it might be longer. So when you put the new oil in, it isn't going to know that it's new from any sensor in the car.

I don't know of any car that actually measures any of the properties of the oil (other than temp) to use for this, but if anyone else did I would find it very interesting to read about what the measure. Even on really high end cars I don't think it would be needed. You should be able to basically interpolate what's happened to the oil over time from sensors that are already on a modern day car.

On our cars it is just a 3,000 mile count down. We aren't advanced as them imported cars, Jesse.

And its the.....F I N A L COUNT DOWN! dadaada da da da

Use the Mode button to switch to oil life.Then hit the reset button on the DIC, and hold it in for like ~10 seconds or so.

http://s90925223.onlinehome.us/pub/nate/resetoil.JPG

well my dash is alittle diff then that i looked for a reset no luck ill try that site, and i have no book on the car . and on my dash i have a light that comes on and it reads , change oil soon. no dig readout like the one posted. thanks

look in the fuse panel there is normaly a reset button there. you have to pust in then turn the key on and wait till the light starts to flash release the button and the light will go out. on my girls car i have to doit at least twice to turn it off.

Originally posted by n8:

On our cars it is just a 3,000 mile count down. We aren't advanced as them imported cars, Jesse.

Actually my car just does it at set intervals too, it doesn't adjust. That's just what I've read about other cars that adjust the intervals. For some reason I got that his car did that too, don't know where I got that from though.

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

It should tell you how in the owner's manual.

Did you even read the thread?

Earlier I said this.

Originally posted by Neo:

When my service 'light' comes on in the Audi I have to reset it manually. There is a procedure for it in my owners manual (the little crap glove box book) so it might be in yours too.

Then he said this.

Originally posted by GT-TITAN:

...and i have no book on the car

P.S. UBB sucks gigantic donkey balls.