Law on L.E.Ds

JJ40750

well, many new cars come with LED lights. semi trucks have em as well.

but if you get em for your bike, they may not be DOT approved, but i seriously doubt anyone is going to hassle you over it. maybe techically you could get a ticket, but ive never heard of it...

i believe they are OK (read: still not legal, but not illegal enough to write a ticket) as long as they are not blue and red combined and/or flashing. i had red on mine for a while last year and there were many cops that i pulled next to at stoplights and they didn't say a single thing about it.

I tried to look at the ohio revised code but i couldnt find anything specific on l.e.d lights or neons or anything like that. The only thing I saw was that you cant have flashing lights on your vehicle.

I have red l.e.d.'s on my bike and cops have never bothered me about them

Not sure about Ohio...but anything red in the front was a big no-no in MI. Not sure how anal they get here. Angel Eyes ..halo eyes..etc. Probably not legal to ride with them on if they are not 'white'..but I can't say I know anyone getting stopped for em. LED's on the frame of the bike are prob not that big of a deal, if any. Call the police up and ask em.

i believe they are OK (read: still not legal, but not illegal enough to write a ticket) as long as they are not blue and red combined and/or flashing. i had red on mine for a while last year and there were many cops that i pulled next to at stoplights and they didn't say a single thing about it.

That's what I was thinking. Also stay away from any sort of modulating lights while you are riding. Cops don't like that.

He's right, sort of. No blue, red(unless it's on the rear) or flashing of any color. Everything else is ok.

BTW, (i see this a lot) taking your turn signals off and using hand signals is illegal. All bikes built after 1967-68 (or somewhere around there) are required to have them. Again, it's something most Columbus don't mess with unless they think you're up to something then they use it as PC to stop you.

Angel Eyes ..halo eyes..etc. Probably not legal to ride with them on if they are not 'white'..but I can't say I know anyone getting stopped for em. LED's on the frame of the bike are prob not that big of a deal, if any. Call the police up and ask em.

If you're referring to the headlights, they have to be WHITE. Adding colored bulbs and even HID's(blue tinted ones) are illegal.

Nate pretty much hit things on the head. Columbus has a "city code" on those colored/neon lights so you want to stay away from those.

State Codes:

4513.04 Headlights

Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlights.

4513.261 Vehicles to be equipped with electrical or mechanical directional signals.

(2) No person shall operate any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle manufactured or assembled on or after January 1, 1968, unless the vehicle is equipped with electrical or mechanical directional signals.

(B) “Directional signals” means an electrical or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and rear.

© All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illuminating devices when in use at the times mentioned in section 4513.03 of the Revised Code.

City Codes:

2137.16 Number of lights permitted; limitations on red and flashing lights.

©(1) Flashing lights are prohibited on motor vehicles, except as a means for indicating a right or a left turn, or in the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, or overtaking or passing.

(e) No person shall drive or move any vehicle upon any street or highway with any light or device thereon displaying a blue light, or alternate red and blue flashing light mounted on such vehicle.

I have red LEDS from front to rear on my 10.....I have passed cops, I have also been stopped and followed by cops. They have never said a word about the LEDS. I do not have flashing red leds, so that could be why they dont stop me for those. I think if I was out doing something stupid...(which everyone knows that happens alot)....they could stop me for something like that or even add that to the list of tickets....

I think it one of those things that they pick and choose to enforce. Something like that could get thrown out in court.....even with a bad lawyer....

Who really knows what an officer is going to do.....

Don't we have any ohio LEOs on this board?

Maybe ;)

Everyone pretty much hit it on the head. If they are being used for a "glowing" effect, The bulb cannot be visible. If they are being used for "markers" of some sort, they cannot be red or blue. Strobes are not allowed.

BTW, (i see this a lot) taking your turn signals off and using hand signals is illegal.

but i can still hand signal without activating my lighted turn signal correct?

but i can still hand signal without activating my lighted turn signal correct?

I don't think that's going to fly at night, because your turn "signal" has to be seen from a certain distance. During the daytime, you should be good though.