500 HP GTO at Woodward

Mallard

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/547000-547999/547713_16_full.jpg

I guess this copied off the new mustang too :rolleyes:

I fail to see how those hood scoops, those foglights, and the air inlet in the bumper are copied off of the new Mustang when every Pontiac has them in nearly identiacal places. I think they stole the fender flares from my Olds Intrigue.

ok, found another pic and some different info.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8257_image.jpg

So why has the new "Goat" scored so poorly? Critics content its soft, jellybean styling has little in common with the edgy GTO sheet metal of the '70s. The Dream Cruise Edition boasts a new 575-hp V-8, as well as styling more in line with the car that cruised Woodward past. There'll be little opportunity to burn rubber over the weekend, but GM officials are hoping to recreate some of the magic that helped turn the original GTO into the car to beat on Woodward Ave.

www.thecarconnection.com

Oh hush you mallard. FRont end and hood scoops? I said aside from the front end didn't I?

But folks trying to claim there's no resemblance at all (born from their hate of Mustangs) earned a rebuttal. I gave it.

Had I been able to find a pic of the 05 Mustang at the same higher height angle as the GTO there it would have been even worse an identity. They share the same overall dimensional percentages. Deck length to hood length, door size to overall length, cabin height to overall height, wheel placement, roofline, width ( though this GTO has done so with flares), mirrors, side scoopes behind the door, etc etc etc etc. The GTO is curvier but the bodyshape is idento. Hell they both have split fiver spoker wheels.

Anyhoo I'm not ragging on it - I'm a big fan of the GTO stocker and this employee concept car. I'm also a fan of the Mustang. So what about "looks like a Mustang" is an insult for you?

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Yeah no resemblance whatsoever...

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Mallard/Pics/OrgeGTOCncpt.JPG

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wallpaper/05/gtconcept1_1024.jpg

Oh Snap!

i like that GT0 in gray at the bottom....just kidding. still a badass car.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Oh hush you mallard. FRont end and hood scoops? I said aside from the front end didn't I?

So what about "looks like a Mustang" is an insult for you?

I don't hate Mustangs, but to me that looks like a regular GTO with huge fender flares. I don't see a Mustang at all.

If the GTO dimensions are so identical to the 05 Mustang then who copied who? (Seeing as how the Monaro has been out in Austrailia for a lot longer then the Mustang concept has been around.)

I also think that in pictures people will see what they want to see. Having passed a group of six 05 Mustang's on 23 around Ann Arbor and walking around one at Woodward, I can say that I don't see the resemblence other then both being RWD coupes.

The 05 Mustang draws from - at least according to the designer interviews in my SVTOA rag: the '66 coupe, the GT350, the '70 boss and the '99+ new edge styling. No Monaros, imports, airplanes, rockets, shaving equipment, animals or other doo dads copied. There's more than enough in its own stable to draw upon. But thats a benefit to actually having heritage tongue.gif ...heritage being something only the Corvette also possesses (and no, being around since the way-back 1980s don't give ya heritage, younguns).

Where's my geritol?

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS OR ASS:

whats wrong with *** exhuast it has a 70's super duty trans am look to it. nice looking car to bad gm will always underpower everything else so the corvette can be faster

Not with Lutz around. He said that if they want the Corvette to be top dog, they have to give it more power too. So they are. Hence why the Z06 is 'rumored' to be 500 hp.