Question for Mustang people

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest jpurdy2003

I am currently entertaining the idea of buying a 1979 Mustang with a 302 in it. My questions to you are:

1. When I go to look at this car, what are things that I should check the condition of that are specific to this car?

2. What are the most common mechanical issues on these cars?

3. Assuming it's original, what are the stock HP/torque specs on this car, and MPG?

1. RUST. And lots of it.

Look under each door, where the door skin mates to the frame on the very bottom. Look at the edges of the trunk lid or hatch, esp underneath where it sits on top of the tail lights. Look on the rocker pannels all the way down the car. Those are the biggest rust spots.

2. Rear main seal leak.

Look ALL over the underside of the motor for oil. Don't be alarmed if there is a few drops, they all do it. But if there is a LOT of coating or significant puddle under the car, that's bad.

3. You have the weakest 302 Ford ever made. IIRC it's something like 145HP and 175TQ but someone who knows for sure can chime in. It's carbed which sucks donkey balls. MPG? If you have to ask, don't buy the car.

Not the worst platform ever? I mean its according to what hes going to do to it, its its got a hot motor and all upgraded stuff it could be really sweet, I have seen some killer 79s I would love a Pace car like you wouldnt believe even though its not fast its just a car I really like!