For all GTO nay-sayers

tandm

Originally posted by Mensan:

Wait, you mean like the 53 Corvettes with the inline 6 cylinders? :rolleyes:

Not comparing the GTO to the 53 Corvette, just proving a point. Believe what you like, the 04 GTO will be a sought after item, and it will retain its value. You can quote me on that one.

Will it go for more thant the 05 LS2 powered ones (if they come out)? No. Quote me on that. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Will it go for more thant the 05 LS2 powered ones (if they come out)? No. Quote me on that. tongue.gif

Apples to oranges. The GTO will retain its value, not be a collector car. The point was someone said the GTO will be worth more because of its limited number in a specific engine size. While I don't necessarily agree with that, what I do believe is that you won't be able to touch a GTO for less than 90% of its original selling price in a few years. The same thing happened with the 94-96 Impalas. Three years after they came out the used ones were selling for $2k more than what they originally sold for. They weren't worth what the Vettes of the same year were (and no one expected them to), but they did retain their value, which was the point I was making.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Not really, especially when it comes to marketing something. SCCA, perhaps (as that would include autocrossing among other types of racing), Auto-X.....nope. Though it is definately fun and challenging, you do have to remember auto-x is racing around some cones in a parking lot.

Go to a larger regional or national level event and I think you'd be suprised. To a fair number of people it's a searious sport and there is a lot of money spent on it. There's a reason certain sized Falkin Azines are on backorder along with a few other tires that are usually scarce around mid summer.

Marketing an entire car model to that segment? Well that's what the MazdaSpeed brand basically is along with Si models of Civics and even the Z06. Yes, the Z06 was developed as an open track car, but a small number of people have the money to open track that car and many autocrossers have bought the car for the sole purpose of parking lot competition. So in that respect, marketing a model to that segment has been very sucessful. You'd just have to go to a large event to see it.

/threadjack

No, I didn't say it was MADE TO BE an autocross car, as it was developed as an open track car.

My point was that many people bought the car for the sole purpose of autocross competition and it does VERY well. So it is, in fact, possible to market to that segment and it's not as small of a segment as some people think.

I don't know why anyone would trash the mustang. Every time I go out driving I see at least 2 dozen stangs, every parking lot I pull into has at least 10 to 15 of them, We should call the stang the peoples car. Me, I just wanted to be my own man, and drive unique and distinctive car.

Guest BLACKBIRD99
Originally posted by High Octane:

[QB]Every time I go out driving I see at least 2 dozen stangs, every parking lot I pull into has at least 10 to 15 of them, We should call the stang the "dime a dozen" car.QB]

There ya go. :D

Originally posted by Razorback:

Maybe GM realized their mistake and will start producing a new GTO next year instead of a RWD V8 Grand Prix. One can only hope.

Monaro not Grand Prix

That's what happens when you're IQ is similar to your shoe size

Originally posted by WWJKD?:

Ever notice how all of the GTO haters seem to drive Fords? ;)

Actually I've been fighting antique GOAT owners on several boards for weeks. These dinosaurs can't handle the fact that GM is selling the GTO again. And that it isn't a retard-o POS like the what ford did with the thunderbird.

Originally posted by High Octane:

Originally posted by WWJKD?:

[qb] And that it isn't a retard-o POS like the what ford did with the thunderbird.

Your 100% correct, GM reserved that for the SSR :D

Hmm you folks must be trolling wierd board then, because all the ford feed back I see is thumbs up for the GTO or honest criticism. The Mach guys tend to waste breathe on repeating they're faster, but thats about all I see. I've seen more anti-GTO posts on this board from GM owners.

I like it, even if it is too slow and the doors are too big to open in parking spots *cough* f-body-flashback *cough*.