SVT In Trouble!

Wease

Originally posted by desperado:

I found the comments about the warrenty work being VERY costly to Ford rather interesting. Back in 60's when Dodge WAS it on the dragway's across this country, the factory build drag cars, and these came with a basic interior (drivers seat) a floor mat, no back seats, fiberglass fenders and hood, and *** car came off the truck in hotrod primer black. THey were Darts and superbees I believe. The driveline was a 383 or a 426 Hemi, four speed with an 11 inch clutch, 4.10 rear with a very tight limited slip rear. The only thing they didn't have was a huge cam for ease of moving them on and off the vehivle transport. Basically you bought the car, the dealer had the race cam in the parts room. You took it home, installed the cam and lifters, caged it and it ran 10's. It even had the doors gutted of the window transmisions, a leather strap pulled the window (plexglass) up and you snapped it so it would stay up. Even the windshield was plexi.

And *** window sticker clearly indicated that the car was "Designed for accleration compitition and had NO warrenty of any kind" Ford would be intelligent to consider this route, the car price could be decreased, and it be sold for performance use. With that being the case, they would not need to worry about buyers modding *** motor, blowing it, unmodding it and trying to get it repaired under warrenty.

Just a thought.

But in this day in age, and especially in the SVT price ranges, people damn well expect a warranty.

I don't agree that warranty costs were a factor in the SVT org getting dispersed within Ford at all. I think three things are at root: 1-Team Mustang and other internal Ford depts wanting to raid the SVT resources, 2-Internal dissention over departments being upstaged, 3-no real market pressure to have a SVT product for either the f150 lineup or the Mustang lineup.

Re: number three - "Huh", you say? Well, the Mustang is going to sell just fine for at least one or two years. And there's no competition right now to make it look bad. As for the F150, well its been the number 1 selling truck in the world for decades. The SVT is a splash in that pond.

Also... and this is just my wild ass guess: The Ford GT development really drained the SVT team in my opinion.

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by desperado:

I found the comments about the warrenty work being VERY costly to Ford rather interesting. Back in 60's when Dodge WAS it on the dragway's across this country, the factory build drag cars, and these came with a basic interior (drivers seat) a floor mat, no back seats, fiberglass fenders and hood, and *** car came off the truck in hotrod primer black. THey were Darts and superbees I believe. The driveline was a 383 or a 426 Hemi, four speed with an 11 inch clutch, 4.10 rear with a very tight limited slip rear. The only thing they didn't have was a huge cam for ease of moving them on and off the vehivle transport. Basically you bought the car, the dealer had the race cam in the parts room. You took it home, installed the cam and lifters, caged it and it ran 10's. It even had the doors gutted of the window transmisions, a leather strap pulled the window (plexglass) up and you snapped it so it would stay up. Even the windshield was plexi.

And *** window sticker clearly indicated that the car was "Designed for accleration compitition and had NO warrenty of any kind" Ford would be intelligent to consider this route, the car price could be decreased, and it be sold for performance use. With that being the case, they would not need to worry about buyers modding *** motor, blowing it, unmodding it and trying to get it repaired under warrenty.

Just a thought.

Dipshit has a good point.

the only dodges that came like desperado described were the hemi barracuda and darts....car cars...there were not that many made though. Although u could order anything u want back then 383 440 hemo slant six 318 340 and so on........its fuuny dodge is back into the game and has factory upgrades like stage 1 stage 2 etc...ford has lost the boat..they rather denny peoples warranty for engine work because they have flowmasters and other bull shit.. CJ