Possible Carb problem

schmuckingham

So yesterday i was talking to Satan about my little from the start problem. The FZR on Saturday was acting up a bit from the start of each stop, i would slip the clucth like normal and it would move forward and then depending on throttle position it would act like it was loading up. I would clutch it back in and rev the motor till it cleared up and then slipped out the clucth at a higher RPM than usual.

Well Sunday and this morning the bike was fine except on initial startup in the morning. Usually i choke it all the way, 1/4 twist of the throttle and it will fire right up and idle high. Well this morning i did the routine and it started but at like 500RPM and barely stayed running but it eventually idled high. So i ride from Grandview all the way to the outskirts of Ashland to one of my favorite roads and i give it hell, high speeds lots of gear changes and corners here and there. Get through the madness and am coming to a stop and using the brakes and motor to slow down so the revs are up....clutch it in for neutral and the revs shoot straight down to 500RPMs and it stays there which is very weird. I try to match the revs and slip the clutch but it isnt happening, i ahd to wrap the throttle almost alll the way around to get it to even run.

I get it to the side of the road, and it dies. wont start without the throttle halfway open and it barely runs when i give it throttle, i mean like 1000RPMs and its struggling to stay alive. I gave it a minute and tried again and it did the same thing as before but all of the sudden it comes to life free revving. I go to start off and it loads up again, at this point im pissed so i clutch it back in and rev it way up and let go of the clutch doing a nasty rolling burnout. I got it home and havent had time to look at it.

Satan seems to think a clogged jet but i am wondering if it isnt a stuck open jet or something is leaking and its loading up. I changed plugs 2 weeks ago and put a new fuel filter on last week, so any help or thoughts are appreciated.

if you gonna do that, I'd use one of those 10 ft long matches, and maybe an extension pole.

Pull the plugs again, check them out. see if you have a hole or two that looks wierd, or is carboned up. you can tell allot about how a IC engine is running just from the plugs. compare to this

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

FZRs were well known for fouling plugs. Rough idle and having to keep revs up to idle smooth, it sounds like I'd pull plugs and look 'em over.

My FZR always ate the #1 plug if I didn't start it a certain way... Too much choke, it killed the plug.

Without really putting much thought into it yet I wonder if maybe the float needle is sticking open just a bit.

a lot of times, when someone puts a fuel line back on the petcock, a piece of rubber gets sheared off. a lot of petcock edges are razor sharp for whatever reason..

anyway that piece of rubber bounces around until it usually lodges itself in a float valve, keeping it from closing properly.

FZRs were well known for fouling plugs. Rough idle and having to keep revs up to idle smooth, it sounds like I'd pull plugs and look 'em over.

My FZR always ate the #1 plug if I didn't start it a certain way... Too much choke, it killed the plug.

Before and after the plug change a few weeks ago it always idled smooth and never needed revved to run nicely at idle.

I know i need to pull the plugs to tell what the AFR is like but i can tell you its running hella rich.