Aftermarket Traction Control

SVTCobraGuy

Anyone see a need for aftermarket traction control systems? There's a company called Racelogic that makes one, but it's expensive and you've got to tear your wiring apart.

Couldn't someone make one that simply tied in with your ABS sensors and regulated intake air and boost/nitrous (if applicable)?

Thoughts? Think it would be a hit with the street racing scene?

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by 00 NHRA T/A:

Traction Control sucks. I wish I could have ordered my car so I didn't have it. It kills your launch. Every time I drive the car I turn it off.

+1. For what an aftermarket traction controller or ABS module would cost you could pay for some in car training. Using your feet as traction control and ABS is much more satisfying too, IMHO.

Originally posted by 00 NHRA T/A:

Traction Control sucks. I wish I could have ordered my car so I didn't have it. It kills your launch. Every time I drive the car I turn it off.

Factory traction control does suck. +1 If there was good aftermarker traction control that was a little more "on the edge", I think people would like it better. My Cobra's traction control is a wuss. It's punishment when it kicks in.

I had the front-wheel drive racers in mind especially. Seems like they have a crazy time keeping the front wheels hooked.

Originally posted by SVTCobraGuy:

Couldn't someone make one that simply tied in with your ABS sensors and regulated intake air and boost/nitrous (if applicable)?

Thoughts? Think it would be a hit with the street racing scene?

Well, on drive by wire cars thats a sinch, but, only way to do it otherwise is to retard timing, apply brakes or completely cut the injector pulse.

Racelogic does their T/C with eliminating fuel to random cylinders, so basically when you launch it sounds like your cars misfiring, because well, it is.

Theres been little to no success on ODBII since appearently the ODBII reads the fuel depleted spark as a misfire, throws a code, and sets the car in limp home mode.

just some food for thought...

Ahhh, it's called an MSD 7 digital pro or plus. It has fully programable RPM limit curves that will not allow to motor to rise in RPM any faster than how it is set. This would effectively act as a traction control. ANd for those that say it will not work. NHRA, in many catagorys of racing have put limits one them and require the configuration to be checked after a run at certain racing events so that they are not used in this manner.

Originally posted by I hate W bodys.:

Well, on drive by wire cars thats a sinch, but, only way to do it otherwise is to retard timing, apply brakes or completely cut the injector pulse.

Racelogic does their T/C with eliminating fuel to random cylinders, so basically when you launch it sounds like your cars misfiring, because well, it is.

Theres been little to no success on ODBII since appearently the ODBII reads the fuel depleted spark as a misfire, throws a code, and sets the car in limp home mode.

just some food for thought...

Good points. Didn't Toyota do something back in the day on their Supras with a sub-throttle plate for t/c? Maybe someone like Racelogic should do something like that. Might be safer and more compatible.