02/03 Z06 Or 03/04 Cobra

Wease

Which would you get and why? Many of you already know I am selling my Formula come Spring. It's being put back to stock and sold to my father. I'm buying a new car, something to replace it. It will be either a 02/03 Z06 C5 or a 03/04 Mustang Cobra. smile.gif

I can get a leftover new 04 Cobra for about $26K - $28K. The Z06 will cost me $30K+, probably closer to $35K. I will have a good $5K+ cash leftover to mod the Cobra, if I go that route, however if I go with the Z06, I want it to stay relatively stock.

With a ported blower, pulley swaps, CAI, exhaust, heat exchanger, TB, and tune, a Cobra can hit 500 RWHP / 500 RWTQ, all with stock driveability. However, a blower swap will yield much more. The Z06 would only see minor exhaust and intake mods. No heads/cam. Maybe spray. ;)

Which would you go with and why... graemlins/thumb.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've had a C5 and 03 cobra and I miss the C5 more than the cobra. (and the c5 was stock). True, you can spend about 2 grand and have 500rwhp, or spend about 2 grand on the vette and have around 400rwhp. The vette will handle and look better and "feel" just as fast. Might even be able to beat the cobra due to the weight and aerodynamics.

price, hands down cobra.

engine, I prefer cobra just because it comes with one of the stoutest bottome ends ever to leave a factory.

looks, I prefer the vette.

as a package, I prefer the vette because it wieghs around 500lbs less, but I like the driver position better in the mustang.

I'd take either one, but being a poor bastard it's hard to beat a less expencive car and eas of moddablity of the Cobra.

I'd say get the ZO6. Granted you might get the cobra faster cheaper, but the ZO6 'feels' like a sports car more than the cobra imo. Interior wraps around you and you sit much lower to the road, not to mention the handling. Either way you can't lose.

Originally posted by Homey D. Clown:

Might even be able to beat the cobra due to the weight and aerodynamics.

Uh, numerous "field tests" have been conducted on this very subject by yours truly, and I (don't really) regret to inform you that you are very wrong.

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

If you buy a Cobra over a Z06 you should be ashamed.

Are you asking for an online beating?

Wease, I guess it comes down to what you're looking for. If you want power and straight-line performance, then you'll want to go with the Cobra (if you go with the plan you spelled out for us - modding the Cobra but leaving the Z06 stock). If, however, you want a little more prestige to your car and a better overall "package" (e.g., better interior, better exterior, better overall aesthetics), then the edge has to go to the Z06.

Wease - you have entirely too much hair to buy a vette. Still, if thats your thing, thin out the bald spot, put on about 40lbs of ponch, buy a couple gold chains, rings, and silk shirts, and go for it.

smile.gif

Actually can I ask why? You're not really stepping "up" in performance from your car going with either stock. Why not keep the formula?

Originally posted by Venomss:

Uh, numerous "field tests" have been conducted on this very subject by yours truly, and I (don't really) regret to inform you that you are very wrong.

um, that would be no... The following comes from ls1tech.. -Black 03 ZO6. MODS-Vararam intake,LS1 Edit Tune 11.67@ 119.3... this is 370rwhp.. What were your times again with about 100 more rwhp??

um, that would be no... The following comes from ls1tech.. -Black 03 ZO6. MODS-Vararam intake,LS1 Edit Tune 11.67@ 119.3... this is 370rwhp.. What were your times again with about 100 more rwhp??

this is comming from a guy who owned a slobra

11.67 @ 119 is a decent 60ft

I doubt our feild expert was able to achieve this.

(no offense)

What's your point? There's a guy on SVTperformance running sub 11.5's at 120+ with the stock pulley still on.

Originally posted by Eatonup:

What's your point? There's a guy on SVTperformance running sub 11.5's at 120+ with the stock pulley still on.

My point was to show a mildly modded Z06 can beat a cobra with 100 more hp. Any more questions? graemlins/slap.gif I'm allowed to talk shit about cobras, I had a 490rwhp one (formerly blowzilla) :D

Originally posted by Eatonup:

He's just trying to say, the Vette takes less power to move.

You can make more power with the Cobra, cheaper..but you can't change the design of the car, respectively speaking.

My point was to show a mildly modded Z06 can beat a cobra with 100 more hp. Any more questions? graemlins/slap.gif I'm allowed to talk shit about cobras, I had a 490rwhp one (formerly blowzilla) :D

No more questions. What I was really trying to get across was same 60ft equal drivers, bolt on Cobra wins.

That does not mean that the ZO6 is faster. Ask john how many times he has gone to the trackwith his car. Not many, in fact I think this yr was his first time down the track. I mean we are not all born professional drivers. I am sure that guy that drove the ZO6 had alittle more track time under his belt then John. I bet next yr John if he keeps the car will have no problem hitting low 11's.

Now back to the original question. Sean I would say drive both. I think the covette has alittle more comfortable ride then the cobra. But power wise the cobra has the corvette beat for the money vs mods. Mods for corvettes are not cheap. There is always the corvette tax, remeber that.

i agree, styling and handling zo6 BUT.. if your lookign for a fast car you can take to the track. id go Cobra.

your gonan leave the z06 mostly stock besides exhaust or whatever, and youd mod the cobra because of price diffrence. id go cobra.. but whatever its your choice.

I was referring to my experiences roll racing a modded (i.e., a 400hp) C5 (i.e., Sam). If you re-read your initial post, you'll notice this is what you imply throughout. If fact, you don't even mention the word Z06 anywhere in that post. So, gold star for you in taking a grand opportunity to play one-upmanship and derogate me, my car, and my driving ability.

To be fair, Sam has owned me plenty of times from a dig, and that's a C5 - not a modded Z06, which would surely own me too from a dig. Maybe if I had an aftermarket shifter, or a solid rear-axle, or were a more experienced driver, things would be different. If I keep the Cobra, and then do some more modifying, we'll see. Or maybe I'll just buy something faster, more expensive, more exotic, and not drive it correctly either. Hey, I've got money to burn, so we'll see. But we'll all safely assume that you'll remain a jackass.

Originally posted by Deals On Wheels:

(no offense)

None taken - you are absolutely correct.

Though you know my feelings on your selling the Formula, if you've got to, definately go with the Z06.

First off, you can definately get an 02 Z06 for 30k, perhaps a little cheaper now that the C6's are out (I glanced at some prices right around the time the C6 was released).

Which to choose for:

Stock for stock straight line = Z06

Handling = Z06

Braking = Z06

Gas Mileage = Z06

Looks = Z06

Interior = Z06 BIG TIME

Better overall quality inside and out = Z06

Ease/cost of motor mods = Cobra

I'd bet insurance costs would be similar. Though buy-in on the Z06 may be more than the Cobra, come resale time, you will probably be better off finanically w/ the Z06.

It's not like you can't mod the Z06. Roots blower + LS6 = nice power. Ask Adam S. about his dad's 01 regular C5 coupe w/ the Blower. smile.gif

I've been daily driving Tim's GT, which interior wise is very similar to the Cobra. For my tall ass, I just don't fit very well in the car. I've learned to adjust, but I defiantely fit better in my Formula. From the times I've sat in a C5, I've felt I fit pretty well in it, definately better than the Mustang. You are a lot shorter than me, so that may not be as much of a factor for you though.

Originally posted by The Vette:

That does not mean that the ZO6 is faster. Ask john how many times he has gone to the trackwith his car. Not many, in fact I think this yr was his first time down the track. I mean we are not all born professional drivers.

That's a great point - that Zo6 is faster than my Cobra, based on those times. Put me in that Z06, and that guy in my Cobra, think the times will remain the same?