German engineering

Guest h8tcivics

Guest h8tcivics

hey,

well here is the funny/stupid story.

My mom drivers a 1992 teal volks Passat GLS...5spd. She drove to Fort Wayne Indiana 2 days ago and back to columbus, and her oil light and alarm started to alert her. she didnt even mention it to me when she got back. well my parents moved to Illinois last night...yes I tagged along but will be back this week...

we ate at the local Chillis and she said the light keeps on going off under interscetions with the opticon systems...so I thought the frequency was messing with here car... I got to the house before she did. I could hear her car coming down on the back road ticken like hell. she pulled up in tears my car is almost dead...lights were on in the dash.

When she pulled into the driveway..it was ticken, whining, panging..and a couple others. I drove to the local wlly world to pick up some mobil1, and tried to get that engine restore that seals up scratchs in the cylinder walls..but they didnt carry it.

I checked the oil before all of this...bone dry...as in no residue on the dipstick. when I poped the hood you could smell metal to metal heating up.

I got back this morning and put 3.7 Quarts in since I didnt change the filter yet. my dad started it up...clicking went away but the pump is bad..very bad...as in I'm suprised it is working from the sound of it. I'm just thinking what engine damage was caused by this. you can hear a slight tick in the topend...but the bottom oh it be fucked.

I'm very impressed with this car though. for not having any oil in it..going to Indiana and back and then make a trip all the way to Rockford Illinois....it held together. I am very impressed. It is still making a whining noise...pump....and a light tick at athe top...me thinks valves fried...and some other noise...cant quite place it.

the car itself only has 93 thou on it..and original clutch. it is babied beyond belief...has carbon build up like you couldnt believe.

thought I'd share my experience with everyone.

Guest powers

well if the light was coming on it is the low pressure light. If she ran it that long you will want to check the main and rod bearings. They are inexpensive to replace if you are doing the work yourself. The pump will be fine. as far as the head you may have scoring on the cam journals.

If it were my car and you are planning on keeping the thing replace the bearings on the bottom end. Hopefully the crank didn't get scared up.

If all else fails that engine was put in golfs, jettas, and passats as a base engine from 93-98 and are stupid cheap from a junkyard.

My questions is. How long had it been since her last oil change.

And if she was still within 5000 miles of the last change why is the engine using that much oil.

If you do nothing and just start changing the oil when you should it will still run and be fine for another 20-40k miles but the life of the engine was shortened by this little trip.

Guest h8tcivics

see heres the thing....her car has yet to burn a hint of oil...it has been parked in the garage 5 out of 7 days a week..and even then she drives it to the store and back. She said she had another 400 miles to go before the 5000 miles. I am thinking that they forgot to put oil in the car when they replaced the filter. When I took the cap off the cover to see if any fluid was in it..I couldnt even get a drop on my hand...and not to mention none was on the dipstick...would I be able to sue them for not putting oil in the engine?

she gets her oil changed at Mag......not anymore..I am doing it.

similar situation here in coshocton happend to my friends mom. the for got to tighten the oil filter dont ask me how but they just twisted it on there about a turn and it fell of going down the road. i think they get like free oil changes for life now or something.