The term "squid"?

nochknstrps

Squid (motorcycle)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A squid is an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is derogatory and common among motorcyclists in North America.It is generally associated with a new or reckless motorcyclist seen riding erratically and/or beyond his or her capabilities, often without appropriate riding gear.

The origin of the word is varyingly attributed:

• A contraction of:
    • "Squirrely" and "kid" (possibly taken from California surfing culture), or
    • "Squished" and "kid", or
    • "Squished" and "idiot"
    • Also of note: "squidly girl" or "Squirrel"

[*]An acronym for:

• "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous", or
    • "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead", or
    • "Super Quick Until I Die"

Note: all of these are likely to be backronyms

• Derivative of U.S. military culture:
    • Newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the '60s would sometimes buy an inexpensive two-stroke motorcycle for transportation while on shore, even if they had never ridden before. So, there were large numbers of unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" squirting through traffic in a hurry and leaving a trail of black "ink" (smoke) behind them.
    • "Squid" was also a common derogatory term for sailors:
      • Recent inductees were called "squids" by more senior sailors, and
      • All sailors were called "squids" by Marines

[*]Based on similarity between the way a "squid" rides and an actual squid swims.

• Squids can appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near complete stop. However, once the squid does stop and change directions, it can very quickly accelerate back to its regular swimming speed. Beginning motorcyclists commonly have trouble negotiating turns, and must slow down to unnecessarily slow speed, while at the same time have a tendency to ride very fast on the straight sections of the road.

[*]Referring to the fact that the rider has a large, bulbous head (his helmet) with soft, fleshy bits dangling beneath it.

Often young, squids are identified by their reckless abandon (speeding, wheelies, stoppies etc.) and by their inappropriate attire (shorts, backwards ball caps, flip flops, wifebeater T-shirt, etc). The wearing of tank tops by "squids" was satarised by Ian Johnston who wrote a widely distributed article claiming the Corona tank top was safer than racing leathers.[1] A "squidly" rider eschews all or most of the protective gear worn by many riders (helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, and boots) and the social and legal norms of riding behaviour, and as such is looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who also refer to them as "organ donors", "Zip-Splats", "a Stillie", "Skin Crayons", CycleWorld, March 1995.</ref> and "soon-to-be-ex-motorcyclists".

However, many squids are fully suited-up with helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. Being "squidly" has more to do with how a rider acts than by what he or she wears or rides.

Every bike in that pic is a suzuki.

exactly

Here's another question, are harley riders the king of squids? Have you ever noticed the only time they are in gear is when its cold. Any nice day they have the token black harley shirt, wranglers and boots. Goldwing riders aren't as bad cause they usually wear a some sort of helmet but you'll see them ride in shorts and sandals.

Oh, I've been stuck in the office the past two days... So bare with I'm bored out of my mind.

exactly

Here's another question, are harley riders the king of squids? Have you ever noticed the only time they are in gear is when its cold. Any nice day they have the token black harley shirt, wranglers and boots. Goldwing riders aren't as bad cause they usually wear a some sort of helmet but you'll see them ride in shorts and sandals.

Oh, I've been stuck in the office the past two days... So bare with I'm bored out of my mind.

yes, but the term "squid" just doesn't fit an old man with a straggly beard who hasn't showered in a month...with an old fat blonde chick on the back of his bike

there needs to be another term...

1465299334_2d517e01ff.jpg

"squid" just doesn't fit...

Well I have to admit I was sort of a "squid" this past Friday. I had graduation practice in the shoe and it was close to 95 degrees. I live in Pataskala and didn't want to waste more gas driving the SUV. It was so darn hot when I was leaving my house I left the jacket and boots in the garage. I rode with a teeshirt, jeans, gloves, tennis shoes, and helmet. Does that constitue being a squid????

Well I have to admit I was sort of a "squid" this past Friday. I had graduation practice in the shoe and it was close to 95 degrees. I live in Pataskala and didn't want to waste more gas driving the SUV. It was so darn hot when I was leaving my house I left the jacket and boots in the garage. I rode with a teeshirt, jeans, gloves, tennis shoes, and helmet. Does that constitue being a squid????

Only if you were doing stand up wheelies through traffic :D

Only if you were doing stand up wheelies through traffic :D

BAHAHAHA...you haven't seen me ride! I am sure I am the slowest person on this forum. That's why I don't mind riding without gear every once in a blue moon. :D

I would like to learn how to do a wheelie though. Just for my own satisfaction.

BAHAHAHA...you haven't seen me ride! I am sure I am the slowest person on this forum. That's why I don't mind riding without gear every once in a blue moon. :D

I would like to learn how to do a wheelie though. Just for my own satisfaction.

Wheelies are fairly easy, gotta get you over your fear of cornering first though. ;)

Just seen a BMW squid leaving HNW, sandals, shorts, tank top. he did have a helmet on. I think that shows that no matter what kind of bike you ride you can be considered a squid. For me seeing that came as a surprise usually BMW riders have all there gear on

i have my guidelines...

If I'm staying under 25 mph, anything goes, it's just like a heavy bicycle at that point...(my rationality anyway)

anything faster, I wear my Helmet, Bare minimum...

If I'm staying in town, on roads I know, i might go helmet + street clothes and tennis shoes...but then I keep it under 70 (indicated)

anything else, I'm in my helmet, jacket, jeans,etc..