OBD-II scanner?

zeitgeist57

My wife's Passat just tripped the CEL and flashed this wierd "EMISSIONS WORKSHOP" message across the data LCD screen in the middle of the gauge cluster on the dash. After freaking out I found on a Passat owners webpage that it's a faulty MAF that is replaced under warranty through VW. Whew! http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys1/shocked3_2.gif

Just for future reference, does anyone own an OBD-II scanner, or could I go to an autoparts store and have them scan a car for free (just to get the code)??? This would be helpful info for a lot of people! Thanks! smile.gif

Originally posted by Chunk:

You can just go to autozone and say tell them to scan your car.

thats what i always do... shops make you pay like 20+ for it and autozone will do it for free in hopes that you will buy the parts needed

just remember that they may be able to scan your car for free, but they cant do anything but give you a code. you then have to figure out what caused that code and it does not have to be directly to what the code says. I have a Genisys scanner and have no prob helpin out. if anyone needs anything just pm me. i have coverage on most all makes and models.