Nissan Nomenclature?

Trouble Maker

I was under the impression that all of the Nissan cars that had numbers in their model names designated the engine size. E.G. 350Z=3.5L, 240SX=2.4L, 300ZX=3.0L.

I was talking with another person that’s on here the other day (Satan) and we were talking about the old Datsun 260Z and Nissan 280Z, he said he thought those were the same exact car and they both had a 3L engine. I don’t know very much about these cars, so I have no idea if it is true or not. The 200SX came into the conversation too. I'm looking on Edmunds earlier and it states that the later ones, 95-98 200SX, they were in fact a 1.6L engine. Obviously, the 200SX doesn’t follow this nomenclature and if what he was saying about the 260’s and 280’s are true they don’t' either.

It seem as if some of their cars follow that nomenclature and some don't. Can anyone offer any insight on this? TIA.

Guest doggunracing

The old Z cars were based on the same L series, L24 (240z), L26 (260z), all 6 cyls. All were the size of the number, as you thought. Satan doesn't know Nissans smile.gif

My KA is actually based off those L series motors. I'm actually using a 280zx turbo clutch. My car in Europe is called the 200SX also, with the 2.0 SR20DET. The 180sx, S13 hatchback, was named for the CA18DET it initially had. The name stuck and was used for the later cars even though they received the SR20DET.

Originally posted by B DUBS:

200sx came with two motors, one being the 1.6 ltr. and the other being the 2.0 sr20de, which is where they get the 200sx name i believe.

What?? That means the same car would have 2 names either a 160sx and a 200sx. The first gen 200sx surely did not come with a sr20de.

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by BiG BeN:

the s12(200sx) was equipped with either the 3.0 vg30et or a 2.0 i dunno if it was an fj20e or a ca20e though. either way, thats the way it works.displacement = name of car.

They were also available with the CA18ET.

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by BiG BeN:

the s12(200sx) was equipped with either the 3.0 vg30et or a 2.0 i dunno if it was an fj20e or a ca20e though. either way, thats the way it works.displacement = name of car.

Well, vg30e, no turbo. US only got the vg30e, ca20e and the ca18et. Here's the whole list.