Hookup on Drag radials/Slicks

Buck531

Well, you are looking at two totally different tires.

The Nitto DR's are a great streetable, daily driveable DR. They are definately the worst traction wise compared to the other DR's and bias-ply drag tires, but last MUCH longer than the others too.

QTP's/ET Streets are definately a drag-only tire you can drive on the street a bit, but don't get caught in the rain with them.

The new tire to consider really is the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial. A lot of people are saying these hook better than the ET Streets/QTP's. I'd personally feel more comfortable with a radial on a FWD car. They offer a 255/50/16 that you might be able to fit on your car.

BFG DR's....totally pointless/outclassed tire now the MT DR's are out. They don't have the life to be regular street tires, and why use these when the MT DR's hook better.

IMO, Nitto's for regular street car use (I used to run them when I was daily driving the Formula, and they were great, even in the rain), and MT DR's for more serious drag racing. But if you can make the Nitto's hook, then the MT's would be overkill.

I've also heard that the MT DR's have more of a tendency to get loose/squirrely at high end speeds - which I would probably attribute to the softer sidewall. From personal experience, I can tell you that the Nitto DR's handle extremely well at very high speeds. However, the Nitto DR's need to be hot in order to hook well.

Go with the BFG DRs. I've run them and Nittos, and against ET Streets. I'll tell ya, the Nittos are ass for traction compared to the other two.

Also, I've been cutting the same 1.6x 60' consistantly with the BFGs and ETs, so I prefer the BFGs since they're more streetable but hook the same (at least for me).

I know which are which. I'm just wondering WHO can get a decent price on them. Not how they perform.

They're going to be track only. No daily driving in a Drag radial and/or slick.

Edit - Well, crap, the thread/title came out wrong. I wasn't actually LOOKING for how they hookup.. just to get some prices. DOH. :D

Originally posted by Buck531:

I'm looking at either getting a set of Nitto's (245/50/16's)

I'll have a pair available later this week off the cougar. Not sure of the width, at last 245, possibly 255. They are 16" fo'sho though. I'm lookin' for $50-100 for the pair. Off the top 'o my head I don't remember their condition (with respect to remaining tread). I've hardly put any miles on them.

Originally posted by Tenzig:

I'll have a pair available later this week off the cougar. Not sure of the width, at last 245, possibly 255. They are 16" fo'sho though. I'm lookin' for $50-100 for the pair. Off the top 'o my head I don't remember their condition (with respect to remaining tread). I've hardly put any miles on them.

Sweet. I don't think I can fit 255's on my car. I can do 245's though. Let me know when you can what size they are smile.gif .