Speed enforcement question

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest jpurdy2003

Alright, so it's 5 AM on I-90 Eastbound headed towards downtown. I'm doing a leisurely 60 with the early morning commuters when I'm jolted by my k-band alert going nuts. This doesn't make sense for two reasons:

1. Cleveland PD runs radar on the freeway rarely, if ever.

2. I've driven past here a million fucking times and it never goes off.

About 1/2 mile past the first alert, and I start seeing flashing message boards that say "Speed Alert - 50 MPH zone ahead - Slow Down." This is common knowledge to anyone who's spent more than a day in Cleveland, since the entire downtown inner belt area has had that speed limit since the 50's. There is no construction in the immediate area nor is there any for at least 7 or 8 miles ahead. I'm thinking it's photo radar, but I've never heard of that in Ohio, and even then, it's so dark that flashbulbs would be absolutely necessary. A few people are doing at least 10 or 15 over, but I see no flashbulbs. this continues for roughly three miles, and then it subsides. All the while there are no patrol cars, and not even any civilian appearing crown vics or impalas.

My question to those with either law enforcement or speeding experience is this: is there any reasonable explanation for this phenomenon? What was going on?

It could have been a traffic alert system that causes radar detectors to go off and cause drivers to become alert and slow down if only for a few seconds. Then again it could have been alot of things that would emit radiation on that wavelength.

Evan

Originally posted by Kuruma:

It's probably similar to the signs they put up in Snottowa Hills and other places that show you what your speed is in an effort to get people to slow down. I'm guessing it's purely for psychological effect.

which really only serve to give people like me a reasin to watch the numbers go up as i accelerate toward it :D

Every once in a while they stick up a huge sign at 62 @ Stylger in Gahanna. Posts messages about when the street ahead will be closed for a picnic, garage sale, whatever the hell they do up there. My radar ALWAYS goes nuts every time that thing is up. It must be in the sign.

Guest jpurdy2003
It did it again tonight at 4AM and said "Speed Advisory On." Why should they be encouraging me to slow down when there no other soul on the road, but this shit is blank at midday when idiots put everyone at risk by dodging cars like slalom cones?