Turbo Upgrade

Guest stvbreal

Guest stvbreal
There are many kits out there and I just wanted to get some input from you guys. I'm not quite sure which one to go with. All of them seem pretty damn good. But maybe some of you can give some advice. Prices vary like crazy from $2k to $5k. I always say you get what you pay for but the one for $2k and some change are decent. BR440 for instance. The BR500 is also very good but a but laggy. I want decent power with less lag as possible. As soon as I make a decision I'm ordering it.

Guest stvbreal

Buschur kits are not twin scroll. I'll check AGP. Thanks for the info.

Orion, you can't have my stock turbo but I can sell it to you for real cheap. ;)

[ 29. September 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: EvilEvo ]

If you think a BR500 (50 trim) is laggy then I don't really think anything is going to make you happy. I haven't heard that AGP is doing anything for the EVO yet. I think SFP does make an EVO T3 mani which is what their kits use. If you want 50 trim like pull with a little better spool, then I would look at a GT30R. Or you could do a 50 trim but do a .48 A/R on the exhaust housing. How fast do you really want to go?

Guest stvbreal

I've never experienced the BR500 peronally but have heard from many that it is laggy so I can't say that it is untill I feel for myself. That may be the turbo to go with, don't know. I have seen dyno charts where boost is full spool at around 5-5.5k RPM. That's pretty late.

Breaking the 400WHP barrier is a good goal for now, with spool close to stock. But I know as soon as I hit that barrier that I will want to go higher. But that will do, for now. I know other things will have to be taken care of, replaced, during the upgrade path and I'm prepared to address them.

Guest Harris92

You should look into forcedperformance.net They have

a turbo they are offering now with better spoolup than stock. Its called the Evo 6.5 rs T.M.E titanium shaft turbocharger and its also lighter than the stock turbo. This turbo seems fitting to your goals. ;)

Steve... lag schmag...

Find some kit with a ball bearing turbo option if your worried about lag. Lag isnt such a bad thing anyways, think about all the times you hit boost just driving normally. I know it annoyed me to death. Having an upgraded turbo that sees full boost by 4k-4500 is great for the street.

I hit 20 psi on that 3055 setup I had by 3800rpms. 2 days after I sold it, that rich mofo in NC threw it on an awd dyno and put down 400hp on 19psi/93oct. So full boost before 4k, and put down great pump gas power. (thank you 2g eprom chip)

Originally posted by EvilEvo:

I've never experienced the BR500 peronally but have heard from many that it is laggy so I can't say that it is untill I feel for myself. That may be the turbo to go with, don't know. I have seen dyno charts where boost is full spool at around 5-5.5k RPM. That's pretty late.

Breaking the 400WHP barrier is a good goal for now, with spool close to stock. But I know as soon as I hit that barrier that I will want to go higher. But that will do, for now. I know other things will have to be taken care of, replaced, during the upgrade path and I'm prepared to address them.

Then I would get a 50 trim in a .48 A/R or A GT30R. My advice, no matter what you get, choose a T3 manifold and external now that you will be happy with for a while. That way you can go bigger down the road with a lot of turbo choices and you won't have to change your entire exhaust setup.

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by DragKnee66:

Steve... lag schmag...

Find some kit with a ball bearing turbo option if your worried about lag. Lag isnt such a bad thing anyways, think about all the times you hit boost just driving normally. I know it annoyed me to death.

Ball bearings won't help with lag. The turbo hits a certain boost point based and the flow characteristics of the turbo. The new GT wheels will help with lag. BB helps transient response. This is going from vacuum to boost.

Originally posted by SpaceGhost:

Talk to Mark at Quantum Racing. His Evo is sick! He also has a customer that dumped 30k in one that he races at Mid Ohio. I have heard Mark is putting his stock turbo on his car so he can race at mid ohio. If you have not been there it is a top notch shop, very nice.

Any idea what kind of lap times the 30k modded EVO turns at Midohio?