Grassroots Motorsports $2005 Challange

Mallard

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Mallard/Pics/GRM%20Logo.jpghttp://www.msprotege.com/members/Mallard/Pics/HfHlogo.JPG

A couple guys from work and I bought a 1987 CRX in order to compete in the Grassroots Motorsports $2005 Challenge. The car has to compete in an autocross, drag race and car show. We made a presentation and my employer, LuK Incorperated, has decided to sponser us as long as we use the car to raise money for Habitat for Humanity. So this post is to ask anyone that would like to donate in order to help our team and a good cause. All the donations go straight to Habitat for Humanity, but if we raise enough money hopefully LuK will support their employees in more events like this in the future. It's not often that an employeer will do this kind of thing for their employees and we want to leave them with a good impression. If you'd like to donate PM me and I can take checks at weekends meets. Or you can PayPal a donation to mallard1055@hotmail.com. I will send recipts of payments and keep a running tally of how much money is raised in my signature.

We are completely stripping the CRX and swapping a Quad Four into it. It should weigh around 1600-1700lbs and hopefully turn high 12's or low 13's in the quarter and its light weight will also be good for the autox. The CRX was an abandoned IT race car project and came with a lot of race-ready parts like springs, wheels, roll cage, harness, racing seat, etc. Hopefully this provides us a good base to work from and still meet the $2005 budget requirement.

Because the car is completely stripped we have a lot of parts for sale. If you know anyone that wants stock 1st gen CRX parts direct them to me. There's also a set of black Si seats that we have.

Here are some pics of how the car looks now. I will keep this thread updated as we get the car completed.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Mallard/Pics/Crx.jpghttp://www.msprotege.com/members/Mallard/Pics/Crx2.jpg

Thanks Anthony for letting me post this. I didn't want this to be seen as a solisitation, but it's for a good cause. If money is raised through this board I will have no problem putting ColumbusRacing stickers on the car. We may even put individuals names on the car, but that's still up in the air.

Thanks for your support.

[ 06. December 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Mallard ]

Originally posted by Entropy X:

No prob, Phil. I'm glad CR can support your cause smile.gif

I'll sticky this.

Thanks a lot.

I'll talk with the team today about setting up a PayPal donation link. I've used PayPal for a while now for personal things, maybe I'll set up a new account with my work e-mail. (Unless you think it's ok to use my regular one.)

Originally posted by doggunracing:

Is this LuK as in clutches? They have some badass products.

As far as the extra CRX stuff, you may want to post at http://www.honda-tech.com.

Yes, the very same LuK. We produce clutches, torque converters for most major manufacturers along with CVT hardware and a fair amount of aftermarket clutches.

Thanks for the tip on honda-tech. A few team members have been reading it often. Making the car handle shouldn't be a hard, but the biggest challange is our budget. Everything including the price of the car and tires has to come in at $2005 or less. We got a good deal on the car, it was an abandoned IT race car project, but the budget is still the greatest hurdle.

Guest mudbutt
I agree with the pay-pal. Id donate a few bucks if it didnt involve me moving smile.gif . That is the key to getting donations for a good cause. If it takes 5 minutes of my time $5 of my money and helps many people out. I am completely down. Think of it if 1000 people share this attitude. PM me if you get an account set up and Ill float you a donation.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, there seems to be a problem with the server at work blocking e-mails from PayPal. I cannot receive any payment sent to that address since the confirmation e-mail gets blocked. Any donations will have to be sent to mallard1055@hotmail.com

Sorry for this. I thought my work account would let that through.

The competiton is at the end of March in Gainsville, FL.

There are more rules as to how much the car costs. Modifications and base price of the car are included. Tires count as an expense too. So you have to buy and build the car for $2005 or less. You can sell parts to add to your budget, but the amount you're allowed to ce-coup is limited.

Originally posted by Mallard:

The competiton is at the end of March in Gainsville, FL.

There are more rules as to how much the car costs. Modifications and base price of the car are included. Tires count as an expense too. So you have to buy and build the car for $2005 or less. You can sell parts to add to your budget, but the amount you're allowed to ce-coup is limited.

do they still have the ebay loop hole

• 2 weeks later...
Any money made from parts sold off the car can be added to your budget, up to a point. I think we can only match the amount we spend on the car itself or $1000, whichever's lower. So we paid $500 for the car, we can add up to $500 to our budget.