69 Camaro

Devils Advocate

Originally posted by Republicant:

I have the chance to purchase a 69 with the 250 auto. I want a manual V8, and since I'm totally new to muscle cars, I was wondering what drivetrains are the easiest to swap. Thanks for the help in advance.

Any small Chevy block will do fine, I would stay with the automatic though. Get a turbo 350, put a shift kit in it, and you will be barking the tires between first and second. If swapping to manual, I would use a muncie, To swap trannies will require more work, such as the clutch, bell housing, flywheel, pedals.

If you dont buy the car, let me know I am interested.

Pretty much any motor will fit in there.

Personally, if I had the cash (and that's always the damn case :( ), I'd go with a big block backed by a T56. This allows for:

- Big power

- Strong tranny

- Good highway manors while still having a good gear out back

- Tolerable gas mileage (well, the best you'll get out of a big-block at least).

That said, a T56 isn't cheap by any means. I know riding in Trevor's 69 Firebird w/ 3.90's and a TH400 freaking SUCKS on the highway, even w/ the 27" tires on the back. Take a loud car like that w/ that much gear, and after about 5 minutes (without a radio of course), you want to escape.

[ 28. June 2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Nitrousbird ]

for once, I have to agree with Joe. I am a bit of a fan of the old 4 speeds, but if you can get your hands on a T56, DO IT.

If the price is right for the car, you have the funds, and it's in good shape, go for it. Those are beautiful cars.

leave the 250 on it maybe freshen it up a little toss fuel injection and a turbo on it. you can do PLENTY with that 250 I6.

if you go to a stick its going to take a lot more work pedals linkages etc. at leaste with a camaro its all still avilaible. pretty much any gm engine ever made for a passenger car will fit between the fenders so the skies are the limit.

good luck.