Lambo Doors??

99BlownYellowGT

Taillight blackouts are a useless mod.

Rims that are the same dimensions/weight as stock are a useless mod.

Leather shift knob = useless mod (if car didn't have one stock).

Polished motor pieces = useless mod

Are all of those ricey too? They don't add to performance, right?

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by The Ogrish:

mustang doors are kinad long, making it hard to squeeze out of in tight parking lots. so that would eliminate the word Useless for your definition of ricey :D

Okay, so gullwing or scissor doors on a Mustang useful then. I'll park next to the mustang with this modification so the owner doesn't ding my door getting out. :D

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Taillight blackouts are a useless mod.

Rims that are the same dimensions/weight as stock are a useless mod.

Leather shift knob = useless mod (if car didn't have one stock).

Polished motor pieces = useless mod

Are all of those ricey too? They don't add to performance, right?

Possible (but not necessarily exclusive) cases where the above could be useful:

If the rims improve brake cooling or reduce mist/snow on the rotors, or are forged instead of cast, then they are useful.

Leather shift knob - better instinctive feel/grip, or better-wearing, possibly?

Polished motor pieces . . . uh. . . no tangible or detectable use I can think of here . . .

...but assuming the rims don't feature any of the above and that the shift knob doesn't make a difference to the driver, yes they are all useless. I wouldn't spend my money or time on them. If you like the way the wheels or shift knob LOOK, then good, enjoy it. But still useless.

As for calling them "rice," I would say that word is largely reserved for when useless modifications are on ASIAN cars or wannabe Asian cars, like Chevy Cavaliers, or the people who associate with that crowd. If an empty nester did useless modifications to his MG or Tempest or something like that, just plain old "useless" would probably be a better word. "Rice" is just a slang word used by the younger generation for the younger generation, due to the overwhelming popularity of Asian cars among them; it is not used by, does not apply to, and is not part of the vocabulary of previous generations of car enthusiasts or other current circles. I never even heard of the word "rice" used this way until I joined CR. It is not used among German, British, Italian, etc. car enthusiasts in this country, and did not exist 10 years ago when muscle cars were still the norm among young enthusiasts.

Y'know what? . . . . . graemlins/gives.gif:D