Light ecpnomy rearend

Guest Ponyfreak

Guest Ponyfreak

How does an 8.8 stack up against an 8" or 9" as far as weight savings, or amount of aftermarket lightweight brakes, center sections, ect...

Power handling is not really an issue. I know you can get 33 spline's for all of these rears

Share some knowledge.

The nine inch is the strongest but some of it's strength comes from the very low pinion gear which causes more drag than other rear ends. The 8.8 is becoming the way to go, the readily availible, have plenty of aftermarket parts to strengthen an already stout foundation, and require less power to rotate.

Are you ditching the IRS in the Viper or Mark8?

Guest rperry74
9" has small pinion bearing prone to breakage in some apps. Popular swap out west for Samurai's was the 8.8, could handle big tires and low gears and not grenade. Never switched the 8.8 out of my Stang, and I beat the hell out of it.

Guest Ponyfreak

yea And we actually worked on it and have it running.....

I think we will be going with an 8.8 reguardless. The car will never see more than 900hp, plus we can use the current aftermarket driveshaft that is in the car.

I am guessing an 8.8 out of a fox body would be the best place to start since there are a plethora of brake/wheel options for these cars.

Did all the fox bodies come with 28 spline or did some of them have 31spline axles? Any rearend lighter than the rest?