C6 Z06 pricing

Putty

From a Corvette forum I was on...Chevy has gone crazy on this one. I was all about the new Z06, but not at those prices..

Now that we know the C6 Z06 will run about $75,000 with taxes, how many will buy one?

I'm trying to justify this and it just doesn't ad up. I'm trying to understand what is Chevy thinking?

This looks like history all over again. A Corvette that will spank just about any car on the road, but looks a lot like a standard Corvette and costs a ton more. I'm sorry Dave Hill, but if you were to put a standard C6 next to a Z06, my gandmother wouldn't know the difference.

Is there really 6,000-8,000 people a year who will buy a car that looks about like every other C6 on the road for 50-60% more money? Dodge doesn't offer a 400 HP Viper for a reason.

I just told my wife that my Z06 deposit is for a $75,000 Chevy and she laughed her a** off. She asked me if it will have a Malibu steering wheel, plastic everywhere, and how will the dealers treat a customer buying a $75,000 car? "Do you get a loaner? Does it have heated seats option like my Porsche?" I said, "It will have 500 HP! That's all you need to know!" This did not go over very well. She's not going to accept the idea of a $75,000 Chevy in our collection.

Horsepower isn't everything. I have a Factory Five Racing Cobra and it will out run about anything on the street, but you sure as heck wouldn't want to drive it very far. I also have a Factory Five Daytona Coupe with over 500 HP and it will run 10's on street tires. But the thing will beat you to death getting to the track to prove it. I guess if speed is all you want, the FFR Cobra's a great option at less than $30,000-$40,000 for all the horsepower you can dream up.

The cost is cheap for HP.

I think the ZR1 had a hard time selling because it looked so much like a normal C4. You had to be a pro to see the wide back end and different wheels/tires. That car was one of the best performing cars of its time. Faster than any V-8 Ferrari, Porsche, NSX, Lotus, etc... But it had a tough time selling. Will the Z06 have the same problems? Yes, I think so.

If the car is going to cost $75,000 out the door, Chevy better be happy with 1,000 units per year.

My deposit is staying on file until I know for sure the price is this high. If it is over $60,000, which looks highly likely, I'll have to pass. But will I take a lowly 400 HP C6 instead? I doubt it... I wanted something special... but the new Z06 is toooo special.

Vote with your pocket book.

Guest Harris92
I will be suprised if they run that much. If you think about it, it is still a bargain performance wise. Think of another five hundred horsepower car that you can get for under 80 grand? I think this car will be high quality as well, so we will have to see. I really dont think that by the time its released it will be that expensive though. If it is that will kind of suck. :(

i think the only way itll be worth 75k is if its chassis is derived from the C5R. It also would have to have complete coilover suspension... no nifty leaf springs graemlins/thumbsdown.gif It better have a 6 or 7 spd sequential gearbox too.

Guest Harris92
I think I would like to see it with a straight manuel. It would be more fun to drive, and in my opinion, most sequential gearboxes in production vehicles are overrated. graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Originally posted by Harris92:

It would be more fun to drive, and in my opinion, most sequential gearboxes in production vehicles are overrated. graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

because nearly every production 'sequential' gearbox is based on an automatic...

am i the only one who isn't surprised at the price..?

I'm not surprised by the price at all. A 500 HP car that weights less than 3000 pounds, that will out-accelerate and out-handle most anything on the road, surely anything near that price range? Sounds like a deal to me. Although it's a bit much for me right now... ;)

I just received my Motor Trend and the new Z06 is incredible, for starters is has an aluminum frame instead of steal and a bunch of other stuff that is cutting edge. I think it is gonna to be a great seller. The roof is removable too, I didnt like the FRC vettes. I dont know when I will spend 75K on a car, but I can wait for the C7, to knock down the prices on the C6.

Ditto.

This car will be much more than its 500/500 numbers. It will be ridiculously fast on a road course.

Originally posted by Wease:

I'm not surprised by the price at all. A 500 HP car that weights less than 3000 pounds, that will out-accelerate and out-handle most anything on the road, surely anything near that price range? Sounds like a deal to me. Although it's a bit much for me right now... ;)

Guest Ponyfreak
Originally posted by Harris92:

Think of another five hundred horsepower car that you can get for under 80 grand? :(

A dodge Viper costs less than 80K, and has 500/500. No new news there is that they handle extremely well. I told everyone that Chevy is wanting totarget the Viper. They have been struggling with the C5 platform against the Viper and finally realized that they had to do something else.

Hate to break it to you guys but a car with all the features of the C6 ZO6 is not cheap to produce. Titanium valves and rods cost money.

Originally posted by Wease:

I agree completely. $75,000 for a car that can beat up on other "supercars" costing twice as much seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Here's the deal...It may be $75k, and that IS a lot, but it's a performance bargain for what you get.

Now...wait two years, and voila! You have a saturated used market of Z06's that are under $50k. Most of them will have been babied by their first owners! You may have to travel a bit, but they will be out there (thank you, eBay!)

On the flip side, the GOOD Corvettes (C4, C5) will go WAAAAAY down in price...if you youngstas are thinking of one day owning a C6 Z06, I would highly recommend owning a C4 or C5 first.

Originally posted by Zeitgeist:

Here's the deal...It may be $75k, and that IS a lot, but it's a performance bargain for what you get.

Now...wait two years, and voila! You have a saturated used market of Z06's that are under $50k. Most of them will have been babied by their first owners! You may have to travel a bit, but they will be out there (thank you, eBay!)

On the flip side, the GOOD Corvettes (C4, C5) will go WAAAAAY down in price...if you youngstas are thinking of one day owning a C6 Z06, I would highly recommend owning a C4 or C5 first.

The good Corvettes!?!?! graemlins/thatfunny.gif

The C-4's are rattle trap junk, no offense but...the C-5 is light years ahead of what the C-4 was. Don't get me wrong, I like the C-5's but Chevy still needs to fix a few things. Hopefully the C-6 has come that much farther. :cool:

Originally posted by Venomss:

You're right - I got more than that for just around $33,000. However, my thinking is that you're getting much more than just 500hp for $75,000.

Compared to the Cobra, I would say handling, braking, and a warranty to go with it but.....

....we all know Chevy. Is the quality, build, manuf., etc. going to stand behind it when problems arise? :mad:

I still say you are better off building what you want for less $$$$$$$$$, may it be a Cobra, Viper, Supra, etc. etc..... :cool: