4.6 L Mustang ???

LJ

Ok, I am looking to put headers on my 99 GT. How hard is it to do the long tube headers? Would it be best to take it to a shop? Another question. How much easier would shorty headers be?

thanks....

edit:I suck at typing

[ 27. December 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: LJ ]

Shorty headers are easier to install than Longtubes, but don't provide as much power. Longtubes provide more power, but also require you to either cut the existing X/H pipe or purchase a new one to fit the LT's. I sure as hell couldn't do headers myself (I can do anything myself :( ), but there are quite a few you could get in touch with through this site to do the work for ya.

Originally posted by LJ:

Ok, I am looking to put headers on my 99 GT. How hard is it to do the long tube headers? Would it be best to take it to a shop? Another question. How much easier would shorty headers be, and would they be easier to install? thanks....

don't bother with shorties. they aren't much cheaper than long tubes, and they're still a big pain to install. i've got a set of shorties on my car. not worth the trouble if you ask me, even though they were free. mine look like they were stick welded together...

a few people on here have long tubes, i'm sure they'll chime in with details...

if you decide against long tubes, just bolt in a good x pipe and be done with it. my 2 cents... smile.gif

longtubes are the only way to go if you are getting rid of your stock manifolds (unless they are free :D )

You can have hensler's shop do it. the easiest way to go about it is to drop the k-member.

IMO Hooker LT headers are the best way to go because they are the only header that doesn't require that you loosen or take out the passenger header in order to change a clutch, tranny or anyting involving the removing of the tranny. Performance wise they are all pretty even.

I've got BBK LTs on mine. I would never attempt an install like that. My shop had to drop the k-member and entire front suspension to do these things. I don't think shorties would be nearly as bad, but then again in my personal opinion, a set of shorties isn't worth the money, time, sweat, stress, and irritation of a header install (and even worse if you're paying someone by the hour), so if you're going to do it (and believe me it's a worthwile mod if you have other mods to compliment it), go Longtubes.

Originally posted by Andy:

if you unbolt the engine from its mounts you can jack it up and get um in without dropping the K member

i can have the entire front suspension and k-member out and down in an hour, so for me it's easier that way. with that out of the way, the headers are extremely easier to get too.

Originally posted by Stolen 5.0:

i can have the entire front suspension and k-member out and down in an hour, so for me it's easier that way. with that out of the way, the headers are extremely easier to get too.

Should we do the lowering springs and shocks at the same time then?

I went with the Bassani mid lengths and am very happy. They provided a considerable power gain, both torque and HP, and were not as much of a bear to install. I still dropped the K member, but I have less room to work than the Mustang guys. :rolleyes: