95' Eclipse Smoke

Guest Grits

Is it normal for a 95' Eclipse N/T to have smoke comming out of your exhaust it has 106K miles on it, Will it fix it if i get a cat-back for it or what do i need to do.

Thx

Guest nevarmore

Uhmm, the exhaust is there for smoke to come out, hehe.

Anything other than regular exhaust-type smoke indicates a problem in the engine. Blackish-blue smoke means that oil is burning, probably piston rings. White smoke means coolant is getting into the chamber, head gaskets or a cracked head.

Check your fluids, especially oil and coolant. If one is low, has an odd color, odd smell, or odd viscosity it can help pinpoint the problem.

This will not be fixed with a new exhaust, it's a sign of a problem in the engine. It could be something simple and minor that can be adjusted for by adding fluids or it could be something major that neccesitates tearing the engine apart.

When i accelrate a puff of white smoke comes out and then when you look in my rear view mirrow you can see the smoke come out and that is a grey color. So white smoke comes out first then the grey smoke comes out

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Importguy85:

When i accelrate a puff of white smoke comes out and then when you look in my rear view mirrow you can see the smoke come out and that is a grey color. So white smoke comes out first then the grey smoke comes out

White? Probably coolant getting in there somehow. At the very least keep an eye on your coolant level and color if it drops significantly or changes color bad things are brewing. You should also have your mechanic or rent the tool to do a compression test.