hard core lagging.... bog???

Guest boostd

So i try taking the teg out for the first time tonight... starts right up, no visable problems.. and none while it was running... well i start down the street and give it some gas.... and sure enough nothing happens.... feels the the car wants to stall. the car now sports 9:1 compression... down from 10:1 ported polished head... lots of other goodies... i honestly think because i lowered the compreesion im not getting enough fuel any thoughts on that? if that is the case how can i get more fuel to the car... if that isnt the case... what else could be causing it to bog so bad... when i got to the end of the street i let off the gas and it instantly stalled... when it is sitting at idle... its perfect fine.... not any probs when you throttle it... it takes awhile.... but it slowly creeps up in RPMs but under a load its a different story.... i couldnt get it over 3000 rpm and the boost was creepin to about 8psi.... ive never been one to tune a car too well so i thought i would see if anyone here had suggestions... or if anyone would be interested in taking a look at it... ive been dying to get the car on the road and get it broke in so i can do a bit of racing here and there... im just being held back by a small glitch.... thanks guys

Check your A/F ratio's. Sounds like you are running pig rich to me. If your A/F rations check out check your ignition timing. Also check your timing marks on the cam sprockets and crank pully to make sure everything is in time. That should get you headed in the right direction.

before i even took the car out of the garage.. i checked to make sure the timing was correct...everything is lining up perfectly.... crank is right on the money, and obiously before the motor went in i put the timing belt on... so i remember for sure all that is good... you think im running too rich??? if thats the case... what would i do to fix it? i dont have larger injectors, ignition, or fuel upgrades *besides the fuel pump* i know it needs it.... and i plan on doing it... but i would assume with that being said... i would be running lean... although i dont know shit... so your probably right.... any suggestions on what i can do? how to change it? there is a vortech FMU under the hood with 12:1 i believe.... i have a vfac... but never really figued out how to use it... when i had the turbo put on... they tuned it accordingly.... im so lost... :confused:

Is your V-AFC hooked up? Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks........What is your base ignition timing set at (as in using a timing light, what is your timing?) What kind of fuel pump are you running? If you have stock injectors I would have to say their is no way you are running rich enough to cause the bogging. Check the pins(for the wiring) on your 02 Sensor and make sure they didn't back out (check the one on the exhaust mannifold) Make sure there isn't any slack in your throttle cable.....can't realy think of anything else off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

I dunno much about hondas, but kinda sounds like a timing issue. Is there a lead that needs to be plugged in to allow timing advance? You know, like a plug or some other means of keeping the timing at "base timing" for adjustment?

On a dsm there's a plug that you take out to check/set base timing. If there's an equivilent of this, I'd make sure its together, and that you're getting timing advance.

Did you say you had the shop (who did the install) tune the VAFC? if so, did it run OK when you first got it back from them?

ALSO, check for a boost leak.... this would create the PIG RICH condition babyjesus suspects. If its got a mass airflow sensor, make sure its plugged in and there's no leaks on the intake side of the turbo.

[ 28 September 2002, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi (formally blupastu) ]

more info about the car...?

Are you bleeding boost off from the MAP?

If its a greddy kit, it sounds almost like the blue box is wired wrong...

EDIT: ahhh, is it a drag gen III kit? If so, I am VERY curious as to what you are doing for fuel as well, stock GSR injectors suck.

Make sure that boost is bleeding off before the MAP sensor, that sounds like the problem. double check that everything is plugged in, and the vacuum is all correct, what kind of vacuum is it pulling at idle? fuel pressure? sometimes new motors have a lot of 'junk' in them and it takes some time for them to run well (shouldnt be more then a few miles)

are you getting a check engine light?

[ 01 October 2002, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: rl ]

Originally posted by Jasons TSi:

stock injectors shouldnt have any ill effect at part throttle though, right? :confused: I'd rule out fuel injector size being the problem for the mean time (until you can give 100% throttle past 3000rpm).

I wasnt saying that that WAS the problem, I was just curious, because I know that GSR's with drag kits NEED bigger injectors...

sooo whats the dealy? my $5 is on the MAP sensor

Guest boostd
it has a MAP sensor... as well as the map bypass thingie to trick the computer..... the thing here is the turbo kit was on 7 months before i tore the motor apart... i havnt changed anything on the turbo kit, or done anything different when i put it back on... the things i changed were JG intake manifold, lower compression, and ported polished headswith larger valves.... all of the things i changed obviously had stronger parts, i would think the lower compression would mean more fuel is being dumped in.... and the same with the intake manifold and P&P heads... :confused: im so freakin lost...

Originally posted by BOOSTD:

it has a MAP sensor... as well as the map bypass thingie to trick the computer..... the thing here is the turbo kit was on 7 months before i tore the motor apart... i havnt changed anything on the turbo kit, or done anything different when i put it back on... the things i changed were JG intake manifold, lower compression, and ported polished headswith larger valves.... all of the things i changed obviously had stronger parts, i would think the lower compression would mean more fuel is being dumped in.... and the same with the intake manifold and P&P heads... :confused: im so freakin lost...

Check for vacuum leaks.

is it boggin only when you hit boost or at all times?

you have anything like underdrive pulley or lightened flywheel? because the car should still rev up quick at a stop, probably even with a vacuum leak. still check for leaks since it is a new intake manifold, you have to make sure.

That afc will definately need tuned, do you have an EGT gauge or just an A/F gauge?

Do you have stock ignition or do you have something aftermarket? and whats your spark plug gap at? and have you checked all your wires to make sure they're all on. I know its simple, but sometimes little things cause big problems.

The timing could definitely be the culprit if the car bogs all the time.

-Jono

Guest boostd
it doesnt bog at all times... its just... at idle its fine... runs great... but throttle response sucks ass... i really think its a fuel problem.. my gas meter says it has to be running rich... and my egt gauge shows it has to be running lean.... i have driven it maybe 3 -4 miles.. if that.... and my gas gauge has gone from 1/4 tank to way les then 1/8 however it does feel like it is running lean.. not only is the ehhaust out of the muffle hot as hell.. but the egt reads it as well... the ignition is stock, with MSD wires... wires are fine, as i swaped them with my other car, and no probs, plugs are gapped at .026 i changed the synthetic and put in normal 5-30 oil with some of that lucas oil additive... i was told by a lot of diff people it would help set the rings... so i did that... its running a bit better... but it still has that god awful bogging... grrr... damn cars....

if fuel is igniting in the exhaust (overly rich) it CAN cause the EGT to go up as well as if the timing was WAY retarded, you would have very high EGT, and it could be running rich.

[ 04 October 2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: rl ]