ABS question kinda long

Guest njbargar

Guest njbargar

So, for a while now I've had some play in my brake pedal and it got worse after I changed my rotors and pads (fronts and backs). So today, I stop at BP, get coffee, come back out and start my car, and my ABS light is on. I was almost to work so I just kept going. I get to work, turn the car off, get out and hear a noise (like a pump). I popped my hood and the sound was coming from my ABS assembly. I pulled the fuse for the ABS, in the relay box, and it shut off. So before I leave work I test the car w/o the ABS, and it worked fine, actually better. I had full pressure back in the pedal and it stops fine. Yes, it'll lock up if I really hammer the brakes.

So, is it bad to drive it this way? Is this going to fuck up something else in the long run? It brakes better, I've had cars w/o ABS before so I don't have a problem dealing with lock-up-avoidance.

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Sounds like you have a bad ABS modulator. It won't hurt anything if you drive without ABS. Just make sure you know how to threshold brake.

Been doing it for years. ABS went out on the Pathfinder back in 2000.

When I bought my Saturn the ABS didn't work and never did, lots of stuff wrong with it, wasn't worth trying to fix it.

I would think anyone designing ABS into a car would realize it's a very complicated system that will, more than likely, fail at some point to some extent. They would want to make it so your regular brakes still work if your ABS went out all together, huge liability there. I'm surprised your brake light coming on because of your ABS didn't kill the system. Bad design ihmo. You can obviously see how it adversely affected your braking.

Guest njbargar
Originally posted by copperhead:

don't EVAR put that fuse back in.

learn how your car behaves without it, and quickly. You'll appreciate it so much more.

I already like it better, much more "feel" between the brakes and me.

Thanks guys, I was just worried about something else going out because of this. I've had previous cars w/o ABS but none of them were 4000lb. sports cars, so that will take some getting used to.