Turbo on a Vtec?

Lojik

I have a b16a2 vtec in my civic. I am trying to find some ways to add more power. It has a few mods (air intake, headers, ignition, fuel rails, pump, regulator. . .) I was told it is pretty tricky and not worth the money to turbo a vtec engine. let me know what you guys think. thanks.

Guest Iria
Greddy makes bolt on turbo kits for b16s so it's not impossible. I think it just takes more careful and precise tuning. Or I guess you could always somehow just disengage the VTEC.

The only downside to having a turbo on a Vtec motor is tuning the point in the powerband where the Vtec crossover occurs, many times there is a dead spot before the high lift cam profile. Oh, another bad thing is traction, as you wont have much!

[ 04 June 2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: slow4now ]

well, the reason that people might say that your motor is hard to turbo is because your compression ratio is high for a turbo. Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't it somewhere around 10.6:1 ? Turboing a b16a would make it very fast, because it has one of the most free-flowing heads honda makes. So, all in all there's not a problem w/ turboing that motor, just don't try to run alot of boost ;)

Originally posted by nixon:

i thought best thing for b-series engines was a supercharger not a turbo.

i live by the best thing for any car is a turbo. although it may be easier to super them. Just do a non-vtec head swap or get vtec killer cams, either will not be cheap, but the cams will be easy(er). I'm not vtec expert though, I'm sure there is a way to do a vtec and a turbo safely, efficiently and do it streetable , go do some research. You absoutley will have massive traction problems, esp. on stock suspension and tires.

Guest badmuthrfkr

99% of the people around here don't know how to build or tune a Honda for shit.

There are people with experience such as Brian R. But most shops are clueless(around here).

Always heard from everyone on honda society roll with the NON-VTEC platform if wanting to run a turbo, depending on boost kick down compression, forged pistons, boost controller yada yada. But on the non-VTEC it's true the higher band cam doesn't have the switch over point where it goes into the high RPM's. But you still can turbo a VTEC motor. I say roll with a kit not a custom fabbed turbo. Kits are a lot easier, so roll with the greddy like IRIA said or I'm thinkin of a place in florida that sells all out kits too and they said some stage kit their civic went 12's. something to look into. Peace-Scott

I think if it is tuned right,(Your best bet is to read up on it and try shit yourself, dont trust a shop) you could have a fast VTEC turbo Honda. My friend just put a Drag Gen 3 kit on his 98 Integra GSR and that thing pulls like hell. He could have killed my Turbo setup but there is also alot more money involved. Just take your time and tune it right on low boost before you go trying to turn it up too high.

Guest badmuthrfkr

There is a guy I know, Brian, not sure if he still works at Immke, but he had a red EK h/b with a B18 and a turbo.

Put down 386fwhp.

I forget the specifics on his car though. But it was plain jane sleeper from hell.

I think I know of the car you are talking about. I havent seen it since last year though. Is it red with no bodykit or anything on the outside. Just a huge ass Dunk exhaust that you could stick a football in. I remember this car from a show last year over by easton and he pulled out a dyno sheet that had some kind of a 3XX fwhp figure on it. Damn nice sleeper.

Originally posted by Hua:

There is a guy I know, Brian, not sure if he still works at Immke, but he had a red EK h/b with a B18 and a turbo.

Put down 386fwhp.

I forget the specifics on his car though. But it was plain jane sleeper from hell.

He works at Hugh White Honda, and he no longer has the car (sold it to someone out of state). That car was CRAZY fast. Little red hatch with black steel wheels......I was sad to see it go.

Guest extheflow
you could always find someone with an LS integra(aj) and trade heads...you might even be able to trade up enough to get yourself some lower compression pistons. then slap your turbo kit on that. problem solved :D:D

Originally posted by The TSi U Fear:

As far as I know most people eliminate VTEC when going turbo on the honda engines as the massive overlap allows boost to fly right by.

smile.gif

Think they are "vtec eliminators" or something

Lata

No, most people do not eliminate VTEC when going turbo on Honda engines. Nor should you. smile.gif

[ 05 June 2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: slow4now ]

Originally posted by integranator:

well, the reason that people might say that your motor is hard to turbo is because your compression ratio is high for a turbo.

Boosting a high compression motor is fine, but it leaves a much smaller window for tuning error. What do you think the pro-import racers (especially in Japan) have been running, while they are telling you they run 8.5:1 ? ;)

Originally posted by Soon to ride the pony:

Always heard from everyone on honda society roll with the NON-VTEC platform if wanting to run a turbo, depending on boost kick down compression, forged pistons, boost controller yada yada. But on the non-VTEC it's true the higher band cam doesn't have the switch over point where it goes into the high RPM's. But you still can turbo a VTEC motor. I say roll with a kit not a custom fabbed turbo. Kits are a lot easier, so roll with the greddy like IRIA said or I'm thinkin of a place in florida that sells all out kits too and they said some stage kit their civic went 12's. something to look into. Peace-Scott

Where do I begin? Let's just say Honda-Society is full of tools..... :D

Originally posted by nixon:

trborex would a integra 98 gsr be the same in performance wise as a 95 one? just 95 front body trim is a little different i think.

You are slightly better off with a 95 GSR from a performance stand point, as it is OBD I and is much friendlier to modifications.