Ring and Pinion Experts...

Boost-n-Juice

On the Mustang I have a set of FMS 373 gears that I installed about 10,000 miles ago and there has always been some excessive play in the drive train, you know...the knock back and forth at low speed and rpm's. It's annoying!!

So anyway, I pulled it apart and the back lash is right at .012 (spec is .008-.015) and the pinion depth is in spec. However my wear pattern is "Heel Contact", which recommends I move the ring gear closer to the pinion (decrease backlash) while maintaining minimum backlash.

The question I have is...how much will the back lash decrease when shimming the ring gear towards the pinion? I know there is a chart somewhere, but can't find it. I just hate trial and error!

So for every .001" you shim towards the pinion how much does it decrease the back lash?

EDIT - If I decrease the back lash (move the ring gear closer to the pinion), wont that throw off the pinion depth? Lord I hate this shit! redface.gif

Originally posted by BC:

EDIT - If I decrease the back lash (move the ring gear closer to the pinion), wont that throw off the pinion depth? Lord I hate this shit! redface.gif

Pinion depth is referanced to the axle centerline, so moving the ring gear has no effect on on pinion depth. Also with ten thousand on the ring and pinion it might be too late for them to be corrected. :(

The wear pattern isn't that bad, Heel Out isn't too extreme. It's not noisy, except over 90 just cruising, it whines a little. It's just the clunkyness, I hate it! Should I just leave it be? There isn't a ton of wear, or any that I can see, everything is clean etc. Maybe I can take a pic. Anyone wanna come look at it?

Thanks guys!

Guest chochmo
When you shim the sides, it will usually effect the backlash about 1/2 the amount you shim. For instance if you put in an extra .003 on the left i believe and take .003 off on the right, you have moved it .006. BUT this should only effect the backlash .003. This is not exact obviously but it is usually close.

Guest chochmo
my fault I lost track of what i was typing up there. If you add .003 to the left, you have to take .003 from the right to make room, so it will only have moved .003 and will change backlash by about .0015 Sorry for the mixup.