3.4 camaro question

Guest 1sweet3.4

Guest 1sweet3.4

among other problems, at start up the car coughs up grayish smoke for about 20 seconds. Also, i have come to notice that no matter how much money and work i drop in bolt ons the car gets faster and then continues to slow down. I don't abuse it, as a matter of fact the tires are 35,000 mi tread life and i have 65,000 on them. the question is if the two are related like head gasket or what. The car has 139,000 miles on it, and is the 5 speed. I have a guess that first owner was very rough with it.

btw, performance parts are Jet stage 2 chip, underdriven pulleys, 3"flowmaster with 3" magnaflow cat, accel Super DIS coils, plugs wires,moroso Lt1 intake, Centerforce dual friction clutch and it only runs a 17 sec.

If it was a head gasket you would know. Oil and Coolant would contaminate each other. You would see coolant when you do an oil change, or have a chocolate colord coolant.

Start with a compression test or leak down. Passen does them for ~70$ i think. Then try common maitance, plugs, wires, egr, pcv, fuel pump, fuel filter.

You might want to get the car to 100% and then mod.. :confused:

It's honestly a total waste of $$ to try to go fast in a 3.4L. Save your cash on buying a different car or a motor swap....you'll NEVER be happy with the results of modding that motor.

As for slowing down, could be a million things, though I think a head gasket would be way at the bottom of the list. Check the plugs, make sure she is firing on all 6 cylinders. Try yanking that Jet tuning off. Do a compression test. Things like that.

remember, your car might not be slowing down... you might be getting used to the power so you're thinking that it's slowing down. as far as performance on that car... do an LT1 swap... you can normallly get everything you need for the swwap for around a grand if you do some shopping online for it.... I found my buddy's setup on Ebay.