Turbos

Guest Tailwind

Guest Tailwind

Just a quick question or two for mild curiousity. Do many turbos use ceramic turbine blades or are they frowned upon because of an increased possibility of breaking at higher spin speeds? And then is it better to look for turbos that use the special ball bearings or the regular fluid bearings??

Thanks, just wondering..you know, future shopping list :D

Ceramic blades? I'm thinking that would eb bad. Maybe on a deisel that onlyy sees 2000 rpm, but I'd theink that the brittle ceramic would not like high reving engines.

As for Ball bearing vs oil, i've heard people on both sides ofit, some say bearings aren't neccesary, some say they are. At the very least its less friction, should help to spool it.

Anyone heard anything about the longevity of BB turbos? I'd think a slight oiling misshap could be costly.

Guest Tailwind
Okay, see I had never heard anything about ceramic blades before either until I saw something to the point in a website. My guess is they were using the ceramic blades because they're lighter?? thereby letting the turbo spool earlier. Or that is what I gathered out of it.

Yeah, both the items your talking about decrease spool time for faster boost. Depending on the turbo, ball bearing shafts can decrease full boost time by 500 rpms. There are several turbos made by toyota that had cermic COMPRESSOR wheels. I am not sure about the turbine side. They are lighter than steel blades. MkIV supras in japan had these (ct12a) and did spool faster, but the a/r of the turbine didn't allow them to produce as much boost, but that was just the design of that paticular turbo.

Originally posted by JustOneEggBeater:

my .02, BB turbo's are typically more expensive to rebuild if they are rebuildable at all.

k

confirmed.... a close friend converts the turbos from sleve to bb design for the lingenfelter vettes. they are not rebuildable, and they do NOT carry a mfg. warrantee, although you may find a aftermarket supplier willing to offer a warrantee.