3.4 gtp help my egr is bad i think

Guest 98 GSX OES

Guest 98 GSX OES
well i went to get in my car and when i started it it was running really rough so i popped the hood and the EGR valve had exhaust fumes coming out from somewhere on it, so i went and got the two gaskets to replace the old ones and it is still leaking i know for a fact that it not the new gasket (well almost for a fact) but it makes this snappy sound when i give it some throttle, ive heard this part is a butt load to buy is there a way to fix this thing or can i cap the whole damned egr off like on the mitsubishi turbo 2.0s? well i dont know from here so i was hoping somebody else did

You can cap the EGR valve opening and run without one but your engine light will display constantly. The local "tree-huggers may not like you, but the car will operate just fine. It may also be a violation for disableing/removing an emissions device.

The EGR valve just recirculates exhaust gases for recombustion to clean emissions. It only opens at RPMs above 3000 when the engine can handle the extra unburnt exhaust/crap in the A/F mix.

If you have an EGR valve sticking open, or a gasket leak, it will cause the following symptoms:

Stall, or near stall, when coming to a stop especially slowing from highway speeds.

A hesistation between 30 and 40 MPH.

Hope this helps,

Mike