F-body ABS probs

Guest Firebirdlt1

Guest Firebirdlt1

ok,

My '94 formula is giving me the low trac light the first or second time I stop or slow down. I can feel the ABS system working because it feels like I'm on ice when I'm not. Also after I get on the highway and go over a few bumps the ABS inop light comes on. I was thinking a lose sensor but they all seem to be tight in there. I checked the 2 front wheels and the rear diff.

Any ideas on how to find where the problem is? I'd like it to work when the snow hits.

Thanks,

Phil

Pull your ABS fuses, should be 2 of them (I think). Your ABS light will come on, but that's ok. Drive it and see if it goes away first. If it does, put your fuses back in, and drive it to get rid of any codes. Check your ABS rings, to see if they are split, cracked, or have rust build-up on them. If your car has 2-wheel front ABS, then find where your ABS connector plugs in. Unplug 1 and hook up your Ohm meter to the sensor side. Find out how many volts that ABS sensor should put out (should be close to 1 or 2 volts). Then find out what the Ohm's should be as well. Spin the wheel on Ohms and volts. If you can't find what the Ohms and volts should be just make sure that each sensor puts out close to the same as the other. If one is considerably lower or 0 then that's your bad ABS sensor. If you have 4-wheel ABS then you'll need ALL-DATA or something to tell you the pin read outs for the rear ABS in a control box. Because I think the rear ABS sensors (if 4 wheel ABS) would probably run under the rear seats or somewhere in that area. Also try jiggling the sensor wires around with the Ohm meter hooked up to see if you have a short or something as well. Yeah and do what Anthony said first then try this.

Guest Firebirdlt1

I think it may be the rear diff causeing the probs with the ABS sensor. Since it sprung a little leak a few months ago and was running almost dry for about 3,000 miles. smile.gif If the sensors are magnetic I'm thinkin it's covered in metal powder now. I'll see if I can get the sensor out and check.

Thanks for the help.

Phil M.

• 2 weeks later...
mine did the same thing, turned out that the traction control plug wasn't plugged in. over top of the drivers side valve cover, you'll see your traction control unit... look behind it and make sure that it's plugged in. Hope it's that easy for ya smile.gif

Originally posted by Peekachoo:

mine did the same thing, turned out that the traction control plug wasn't plugged in. over top of the drivers side valve cover, you'll see your traction control unit... look behind it and make sure that it's plugged in. Hope it's that easy for ya smile.gif

94's weren't available with traction control.

Check for loose wiring.

take it to a shop or someone that has a scan tool and can check your codes. that makes life much easier, plus less expensive, cause instead of just replacing parts till it's fixed, you can find out exactly which part or parts are bad, and save money by only replacing the bad parts.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by rutan ta:

does it have 3 or 4 channel abs, lt1 should be 4 channel. it is also common for the wires to break on the front wheels

Most LT1's have 3-Channel ABS systems.

I do agree that it is easy to break the front wires; I broke one when I pulled my motor out of the bottom to do the gaskets. :(