Pushrod Overhead Cam Engines and Other Newfangled Oddities...

Dual Webers Suck

Hey, I have a question...Me and Aaron were arguing about a few things over AIM and he suggested I post it here because I was wrong, so I just wanna make sure I've got my facts straight.

He says that non-Ecotec Cavaliers have pushrods, I say they don't, but from what I know, they have OHC engines, and OHC engines don't have pushrods. Is this correct? If they DO have them, where are they and how exactly do that work if it's an OHC car?

Also, he says the new Ecotecs don't use spark plugs. This sounds like BS to me, I disagreed, but then again, I don't know much about these newfangled gizmos that cars have nowadays, so gimme a break. I really don't see how a car is supposed to run without spark plugs/glow plugs (for diesel engines, obviously), but he insists that they don't use them. What's up with them, and if they really don't have spark plugs, what the hell DO they have?

Originally posted by Duel Webers Suck:

Hey, I have a question...Me and Aaron were arguing about a few things over AIM and he suggested I post it here because I was wrong, so I just wanna make sure I've got my facts straight.

He says that non-Ecotec Cavaliers have pushrods, I say they don't, but from what I know, they have OHC engines, and OHC engines don't have pushrods. Is this correct? If they DO have them, where are they and how exactly do that work if it's an OHC car?

Also, he says the new Ecotecs don't use spark plugs. This sounds like BS to me, I disagreed, but then again, I don't know much about these newfangled gizmos that cars have nowadays, so gimme a break. I really don't see how a car is supposed to run without spark plugs/glow plugs (for diesel engines, obviously), but he insists that they don't use them. What's up with them, and if they really don't have spark plugs, what the hell DO they have?

http://www.dragevolution2200.com/Evolution_Store_Cavalier_Engine_Parts.html

^^^pushrods for 98+ cavaliers. ;)

they are detonation powered! :D

perhaps the pushrods they are talking about arent pushrods as you know them James. My motorcycle had them, but they were basically connecting rods from the OHC and the valve buckets. These "pushrods" are probably just cam followers of some kind, not really pushrods.

[ 21 June 2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: More Tools Than Columbus Racing ]

Originally posted by Iria:

If Caveliers don't use spark plugs then what do they use...Leprechans? tongue.gif

Coilpacks.... then they have spark WIRES :D ... chris knows how to explain it. smile.gif

Originally posted by akaRED:

Coilpacks.... then they have spark WIRES :D ... chris knows how to explain it. smile.gif
Yes please explain how they run without spark plugs..

Yes coilpacks give spark to the wires.. and then the "spark wires" go where? graemlins/fruit.gif

Look

"New 2.2 L ECOTEC Engine

Cavalier's new 140-hp engine is engineered to deliver smooth, powerful performance with reduced exhaust emissions. It features state of the art components that are virtually maintenance-free. For instance, the chain-drive systems as well as the valvetrain with hydraulic lash adjusters are all durable for the life of your vehicle. So, you'll never have to worry about replacing them due to normal wear and tear. And to reduce maintenance even more, a new ignition cassette eliminates spark plug wires.

ECOTEC is also known for its excellent performance and driveability. The full circle transmission attachment to the engine is more rigid than most 4-cylinder powertrains for reduced noise and vibration. Plus ECOTEC uses regular, unleaded fuel, not premium fuel. What's more, you'll get a much-appreciated EPA estimated 25 city, 33 highway miles per gallon in your LS Sport with the ECOTEC engine and manual transmission. And with the 4-speed automatic, you'll get EPA estimated 24 city and 32 highway miles per gallon."

It nowhere says no spark plusg just says it uses no wires ;) It uses some sort of cassette system. smile.gif

It sounds like it has coil packs instead of wires, which isn't too uncommon. But I am not sure that GM has come out with some sort of technology that allows them to totally eliminate a spark plug?

I can't say that I have spent any real time looking at cavalier engines in the past few years, but I can't imagine that they came up with something that would actually be cheaper to use then spark plugs. Which happens to be a very important factor with car manufacturers. They don't just throw technology on a car unless they think they can get buyers to shell out the extra $$ for the technology.

What other GM cars use this? It would be very useful to not have to change spark plugs on cars where spark plug access was difficult. I am sure that they are pretty easy to get to on a cavalier though. Links? Pics?

I'm not a cavaier expert, just curious.

Never mind, I looked up the info myself. It does in fact have a coil pack type ignition setup, and yes it does have spark plugs. These are pics and descriptions of the DOHC 2.2L GM ecotec engine, so maybe the pushrods are for a different variation. Some of the articles state that the valvetrain uses roller cam followers, mounted on needle bearings to actuate the intake and exhaust valves. I looked at the cutaways also, I don’t see any pushrods anywhere. I am a little confused why an overhead cam engine would use pushrods at all. If the non-ecotecs use pushrods, then they are most likely not DOHC engines.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines_cartruck/ecotec/images/22l61_lg.jpg

http://phobia.net/~snapb1/images/Ecotec%20motor.jpg

[ 23 June 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Renner ]

Originally posted by Hwilli:

Brett,

Read my post...and if you ever try and correct me again, you'll be tasting the back of my hand.

;)

Nah, I wasn't trying to correct you. In fact, I pretty much just ignore your posts anymore. tongue.gif:D

For some reason, when added to "the list"...

I get the image from billy madison, with that steve bucemi guy putting on lipstick crossing out names on his hit list.....and now its starting to resemble howard a bit.....

hrmmm..........