Toyota Paseo - Wierd idle problem

mloakley

Morning all,

My roommate drives a 94 Toyota Paseo, and in the last couple of days, he's noticed that its started to do weird things at idle. With the clutch pushed in, and no throttle applied, it constantly revs itself between 1500-2000 rpm, which is just enough that some guy in a civic thought he was being challenged to a race. :D Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Oak:

Morning all,

My roommate drives a 94 Toyota Paseo, and in the last couple of days, he's noticed that its started to do weird things at idle. With the clutch pushed in, and no throttle applied, it constantly revs itself between 1500-2000 rpm, which is just enough that some guy in a civic thought he was being challenged to a race. :D Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Have him run to AutoZone and have them pull codes, that might give you a good starting point.

Aside from that there have been a few other threads about wierd idle the solution/checks are the same, one of the following is bad/dirty/off spec:

1. Fluids (just because)

2. Air filter

3. IAC

4. o2 sensor

5. TPS sensor

6. MAF sensor

So, who won the race?? The paseo is a wee-bitty car, C-man might have had a chance.

Guest White Horse

Yeah, what Nevarmore said.

Also, vacuum leaks.

Need more info. Does it do anything else? Stumble on acceleration? Surge while driving at speed? Surge while accelerating? More, more more!!! Never too much info..

(well, ok, I don't need to know how you banged your old lady last night, or what color your neons are...)

Originally posted by Nevarmore:

So, who won the race?? The paseo is a wee-bitty car, C-man might have had a chance.

Hey, that paseo has at LEAST 90 horsepower. I bet that car could run in the mid 11's.

Maybe.

With a tail wind.

Downhill.

A REALLY steep hill.

Like a cliff.

After a running start. graemlins/thumb.gif

And now I'm graemlins/offtopic.gif

Guest lustful
i would clean the iac. i had a similar problem myself which it would bounce at idle, and then just wouldn't idle period. i cleaned the TB and the IAC and it worked wonders. also reset the ecu by unplugging the negative battery connection for like ten minutes. reconect it and let the car sit at idle for about 5 minutes then. this allows the ecu to reset to factory settings and then adjust for performance parts added etc... also you might check the base idle set screw if it has one. i would check this first actually to see if it hasn't been bumped or loosened up. my 2 cents