Ideas about future FD RX-7

Veritas

This is my $.02 as someone who has been around waay to many project cars in one lifetime. smile.gif

First, pick something simple. I don't know if it's a videogame mentality or what, but the "swap this in! No, swap that in!" logic of Internet tuning escapes me. If a bolt-in kit for doing a swap does not exist, DON'T DO IT! Let shops like SP Engineering, with tons of staff and $$$ do the crazy ass stuff for the ricer rags. It's hard enough to swap in an engine that was an option for a car, never mind something that came from another brand.

Second, pick a car that isn't a basket case. That means it runs. smile.gif Non-running cars suck, and I would never buy one. All of the money you save up front you are just going to pour in on the back end. Start with the best car you can afford, and if you can't afford a particular type of car, then DON'T GET IT. Be honest with yourself on that count.

Third, be honest about your time and skills. Every project takes at least 4-6 times as long as you initially think it will, and probably does the same in terms of money. Don't bite off more than you can do. We have all been there. It's one thing to take on a big project when you know that's what you're doing. It's another thing to take on what you think is a modest project that turns into the Apollo Program. smile.gif Notice some of the cars on this board who have had several years and many thousands and thousands of dollars put into them by skilled and experienced people.

Fourth and finally, bolt ons rule! Especially if you are on your first or second project car (hint, hint ;) ). If you can divide your project into smaller weekend projects while maintaining a running car, you will have a much greater chance of retaining your sanity and financial stabilty.

You have been warned. smile.gif