replacing wheel bearing

NWill

Originally posted by MeChANicK:

.....hmmmm, how much if you dont break anything?

LOL Mark's just mad because he has to learn how to turn his own wrenches now smile.gif

Did you actually pick up a MKIV? I see that you have "Future MKIV owner" as your car. If so congratz.

Anyway, give us a call down at the shop so we can discuss exactly what you need done.

Take it easy,

Howard

To answer the initial question:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/rear_wheel_bearing/index.html

Removing and re-installing the hub carriers is something you can do yourself, though it's a bit of work. For pressing out the old bearings and pressing in the new ones you will need access to a hydraulic press or you will need to take it someplace that has a press.

There are also at least one mistake in Bergmann's article. What he shows as a bad hub is really just one where one half of the inner bearing race had not been removed.

Be absolutely sure that your old bearings are bad. At 124k miles, we did mine as a precaution and honestly, it was a waste of time. The old ones were mint. Of course, my Supra was initially a California and Arizona car. Snow/salt climate cars are apparently known to have premature wheel bearing failure.

Originally posted by Hwilli:

LOL Mark's just mad because he has to learn how to turn his own wrenches now smile.gif

Howard likes to talk about my "tools". graemlins/gay.gif

oops,i should probably change my sig. i saw the article at mkiv.com....i was gonna do everything but pushing in/out the bearing. it squeaks really bad everytime i start moving, then at like 30mph i cant hear it anymore, thats probably cuz of my exhaust though. im almost positive its the bearing, i dont know of anything else it could be. also when i order the parts, what all do i need? obviously the bearing, but what about all the seals and what not? thanks.

for most car you can buy a loaded hub from the dealer and save some headaches, the cost difference may not be worth it for you though as i imagine they are probably aluminum on a MKIV($$$) on my 240 the cost difference between a hub and just a bearing was about 30$ so i did that.

Originally posted by BiG BeN:

for most car you can buy a loaded hub from the dealer and save some headaches, the cost difference may not be worth it for you though as i imagine they are probably aluminum on a MKIV($$$) on my 240 the cost difference between a hub and just a bearing was about 30$ so i did that.

On that note, Ohio Supras has a parts discount worked out with Toyota Direct on Morse. Tell them you're a member, and you get jobber price which is around 20% off.