Emerg. brake light comes on under acceleration?

mjeosu27

...or when I hit the brakes. It has progressively gotten worse in the past two months. It used to just flash briefly if I power-shifted a gear, now it comes on for an extended period of time when I accelerate in any gear- or decelerate. It also seems to do it to a bigger extent when it is cold out. What's the deal? Is it fluid related? How do I fix this, or is it not a major problem?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Originally posted by Millions Knives:

theres a sensor on you e brake peddal/lever.

acceleraition creates G forces that could move the peddal/lever if loose, causing it to trip the sensor and registering the brake as on.

Could eb a bad sensor itself

no e brake fluid, its a cable.

Thats what I figured, but it also does it when I tap my regular brakes. Thought it would be weird that the G forces (as small as that might be ;) ) would trip the sensor both directions. (Accel and Decel.) Oh well...I'll check that first I guess.

Thanks Eric :cool:

hmm, forces actin in all directions effect it, look to the sensor itself. Its mounted to someting, and may be loose, or may just be shot. If is a simple button contact dealy like the door ajar sensors, you may just be able to clean it. Dont know though, never actualy dealt with one.

hmm, forces actin in all directions effect it, look to the sensor itself. Its mounted to someting, and may be loose, or may just be shot. If is a simple button contact dealy like the door ajar sensors, you may just be able to clean it. Dont know though, never actualy dealt with one.

Thanks again.

Stupid Fords :rolleyes:;)

theres a sensor on you e brake peddal/lever.

acceleraition creates G forces that could move the peddal/lever if loose, causing it to trip the sensor and registering the brake as on.

Could eb a bad sensor itself

i had this problem also and that is the solution. mine always happend if it was kinda a chilly morning, the lubricant on the the sensor would be kinda stiff and wouldnt let the sensor release

the cable needs adjusted. I'm assuming you use it all the time scince you drive a stick. the cable stretchs a little and lets the pedal(arm) flop around some. the adjustment should be right at the pedal(arm) you'll have to get a service book or look at it close to see what kinds of tools you'll need though.

Guest chochmo
i would check the fluid. My friends mustang had the same problem, and although the E brake light is what comes on, he had a leaky porportioning valve and the fluid was low. So whoever is a wiseass and wants to say "its a cable, theres no fluid involved" do your homework.

• 2 weeks later...
like in the other post I posted when you made a comment about this, it deffinately sounds like fluid. If you're accelerating, or turning or breaking, the fluid goes to one side of the break fluid canaster causing the senson that's in the middle to go off saying that you're low on fluid. There is no seperate canaster for your parking break, so just fill the normal break canaster ;)tongue.gif

Guest lustful

feel lucky.. i know my ebrake isn't engaged.. but the stupid light will never shutoff..it never really happened until this winter... could it be the ebrake cable needs tightened up??

i have no ebrake pressure until the last three clicks if that helps? :mad:

Originally posted by chochmo:

So whoever is a wiseass and wants to say "its a cable, theres no fluid involved" do your homework.

Many of these guys are wise. Read the posts again, nobody said there was no fluid involved. I assume you're referring to Eric saying "no ebrake fluid, it's a cable". He's not saying the problem is the cable, just that ebrake doesn't work off of fluid (it uses a cable). Maybe you should do some grammer homework.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

My ebrake light would turn on under acceleration and it turned out my brake fluid was low...

My ebrake light would turn on under heavy braking or AFTER hard acceleration (letting off the gas) and my brake fluid was low.