seriously??!!

ninjachk08

Another one bitten by Competition.

They stay in business because of their internet sales.

Their service is a crock. After I quit Honda Northwest I looked into a job wrenching at Comp. since it's so much closer to home. After some of the stuff I saw and heard about I won't even walk in the doors there now.

A good service manager might be able to do something, but they'd have to get rid of all the techs and all the parts guys and start with competent staff. No one in there knows anything it seems like.

Sales is how they stay in business bottom line.

Uh, spreading falsehoods isn't fair unless you know facts. The Competition Accessories on the internet is a seperate company and nothing related to the downstairs place. They are owned by two different people. Comp downstairs doesn't do much internet business at all...

Uh, spreading falsehoods isn't fair unless you know facts. The Competition Accessories on the internet is a seperate company and nothing related to the downstairs place. They are owned by two different people. Comp downstairs doesn't do much internet business at all...

but they still suck right? :D

I'll say this. Most shops are flat fee at $80 plus. That's the going rate anywhere you go...

That said, if you don't know how to do BASIC service, it isn't any different than if you'd take your car to get worked on, get your house's roof replaced, etc.

They do BASIC service during the first check up or first service. Nothing that a competent person couldn't do. The best money you can spend on your bike is for an OEM (NOT Clymers) service manual. If you are competent enough, you can strip it down to the frame with the service manual.

I'd suggest you take it to someone who is legit for such things, but overall, there are MANY of us around who can easily do such things. However, there are also a LOT of garage mechanics that have more experience on machines 1999 and earlier and the newer generation bikes pose different issues that old school knowledge doesn't cover.

First service? Lube the cables, lube and check tension on the chain, check PSI, check the oil, check the brake and shift arms, check for leaks, and change the oil and filter.

You'll find that you'll use up almost 2 hours in doing all that should there need adjustment. Maybe an hour and a half... BUT, you'd save yourself $120 plus in labor... None of the shops check the valves the first time.

I will say if you have 25K and haven't had the valves checked, you ought to...

but they still suck right? :D

Well, I'm not at liberty to say, but I get frustrated that they do not discount anything as far as accessories go. It is from the owner and not the sales staff or management. The owner feels there is no need and it hurts them more than helps, but it is the way he wants it.

So, don't be pissed at the staff. There are those that suck at what they do, but there are a LOT of good folks working there at that store. Tim Nelson is one of the best managers in the biz. If you need help, talk with him. He's the hardest working manager I have met.

My apologies. I had been told by someone whom I thought to be reputable that they were the same company.

My statements still hold true about their service though.

Loose pinch bolts, loose handlebar clamps, oil over full, axle bolt on 4 wheeler not tightened (yet there was a cotter pin in it), 4 wheeler psi's at 16psi...I could go on.

I am a mechanic, I have worked at a shop, I know that it takes common sense to check those items. I do all my own work and will gladly do anything for anyone, if they need the help and don't want to pay dealership prices.

I will not take anything to, nor buy anything from Comp.

:rant:

My apologies. I had been told by someone whom I thought to be reputable that they were the same company.

My statements still hold true about their service though.

Loose pinch bolts, loose handlebar clamps, oil over full, axle bolt on 4 wheeler not tightened (yet there was a cotter pin in it), 4 wheeler psi's at 16psi...I could go on.

I am a mechanic, I have worked at a shop, I know that it takes common sense to check those items. I do all my own work and will gladly do anything for anyone, if they need the help and don't want to pay dealership prices.

I will not take anything to, nor buy anything from Comp.

:rant:

Again, ANY shop can be picked apart. There's nobody super legit that I'd take my stuff to. What shop did you work for?

That's not too bad for your V-Star, my buds got a 650 & he had to have his valves checked during his first service. He said it was something like $350 also.

Yeah, cruisers get a different dealio. The current crop sportbikes don't usually have valves checked on first service. Of course, my buddy's 2008 R6 with 94 miles just ate the valve train so...

Honda Northwest

Welp, not to bust anyone's balls, but they aren't well thought of in terms of service, either. There's about one guy there that most would "consider"... Point is that throwing stones isn't too kind a thing to do as there are a lot of really good service techs working at shops around the country.

I'm sure you were good, too. So, let's not bash based on a few incidents as I am sure one can find as many or more folks with good things to say about their service dept. Plus, it is brand new and is much more modern than before the fire...

Welp, not to bust anyone's balls, but they aren't well thought of in terms of service, either. There's about one guy there that most would "consider"... Point is that throwing stones isn't too kind a thing to do as there are a lot of really good service techs working at shops around the country.

I'm sure you were good, too. So, let's not bash based on a few incidents as I am sure one can find as many or more folks with good things to say about their service dept. Plus, it is brand new and is much more modern than before the fire...

Well I thought the whole idea of a public forum is to be able to post experiences with vendors, shops, individuals and others can read and form opinions based on that.

Every shop is going to have ups and downs. Every mechanic is going to have a bad day.

I shared my opinions and thoughts about that aforementioned shop. I suppose I'll stop sharing my opinions then. Sorry to offend you. :roll:

I don't care who works where. If I have an opinion about a place I will say it. If you don't agree, then so be it. But I have the right to say anything I want to say. You weren't in the wrong Dustin.

No, he wasn't wrong at all and surely can speak his mind. However, him knocking the service department when he didn't actually have any experience either working there or having a bike done there is pure opinion. Seeing that there have been numerous threads and posts concerning the poor service at HNW, one can easily say the same about there.

Point was that when you bash the service dept and the employees and techs, you need to be careful as it can easily be said of yourself. I mean, seeing there's enough posts concerning the lack of service ability at HNW, one should worry about taking their work to Dustin. In theory...

Now, I am sure he's legit and like I stated and was trying to point out - not all service techs are shit employees. The shop may have a bad rap, but there can easily be good people within the facility.

Guess I am saying unless you have direct experience and not hearsay (The whole making more money on the internet is an example of how you had false info that was shared with many even though it was wrong), you really need to be a little more cautious in what you throw out there...

No, he wasn't wrong at all and surely can speak his mind. However, him knocking the service department when he didn't actually have any experience either working there or having a bike done there is pure opinion. Seeing that there have been numerous threads and posts concerning the poor service at HNW, one can easily say the same about there.

Point was that when you bash the service dept and the employees and techs, you need to be careful as it can easily be said of yourself. I mean, seeing there's enough posts concerning the lack of service ability at HNW, one should worry about taking their work to Dustin. In theory...

Now, I am sure he's legit and like I stated and was trying to point out - not all service techs are shit employees. The shop may have a bad rap, but there can easily be good people within the facility.

Guess I am saying unless you have direct experience and not hearsay (The whole making more money on the internet is an example of how you had false info that was shared with many even though it was wrong), you really need to be a little more cautious in what you throw out there...

The company and money thing I grant you I had heard wrong information.

All of the bad experiences were personal experiences. Various bikes and quads I've taken in to have worked on prior to doing work myself.

I digress.

Lizard, you have some sort of affiliation with them?

Honda Northwest

I like how we get letters from them letting us know how long it's been since we've bought each bike. They're also so kind to invite us down to look at all the new bikes. They even suggest that we can trade in our old ones too!

Lizard, you have some sort of affiliation with them?

None at all. I just hate when people bash other shops in general w/o thinking about the whole picture. Maybe mention what tech to watch, maybe state what they did exactly so others can avoid such things. You came from a shop - techs do multiple things and nothing in one particular area. They are basically good at everything, master of nothing. They get a lot of shit work and very little precise work.

My buddy Reuben came from a shop and got tired of the crap he had to work on. He builds AMA caliber engines and has been courted by Yosh, Kaw, KWS, etc. He's really good. The shop always seemed to get a bad rap because they wouldn't do certain things. Didn't have anything to do with him as a tech, but he was included in that "rap".

Point is that there isn't a single tech out there that can say they can build AMA caliber bikes. Not one that is working in a shop. They typically do it on their own or they work on a team or do side work. Same with MX techs. All the good ones work solo.

People who have street machines and play bikes that are NOT serious about performance, set-up, etc. will find plenty of good things at your typical dealership. Those wanting performance work done need to look elsewhere. Suspension - shipped out. Engines - shipped out. Dyno work - performance shops typically - no dealerships.

All in all, basic service can be done with comfort and piece of mind at virtually ANY dealership. Oil changes, valve adjustments, chain replacements, tire changes, etc. All can be done by back yard techs and dealerships. Shops charge more because they have to. Back yard guys can charge less because they don't have the overheard and added expenses the shops have. It's simple economics really.

Just simply want the people that read these threads to have a voice that isn't so biased and single sided. I try and show that opinions are like assholes and that most shops will have as many bad reviews as they do good ones. So, if you are thinking of taking your bike to Comp., maybe ask what exactly was done wrong and why. That way, you'll have facts instead of simply comments...