Camshaft welding?

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of places to go to get the '97 SHO's camshaft welded. I'm open for anything I just don't want it done wrong, I've heard numerous horror stories of welding gone wrong so I'm looking for a reliable person and/or place. Any help would be appreciated, TIA

Originally posted by Desperado:

You would have to talk to Tinman to be sure, but I think that M&M does that. Just wonderin, why not just replace it. I have found that ERS and the other similar places, it's cheaper to buy a recon crank with bearings than it is to just get one turned.

I thought about replacing it but being the great "mechanic" I am I wouldn't even know where to start and what to look for or anything like that

I am not sure that I follow you. I get the notion that you broke the snout off the crank or something like that. That can't be fixed. Welding a crank is done if you have spun bearings and screwed up the machined areas (rod and main journals) of the crank. Then the crank will need to be turned back down to size and repolished. This is a vrey expensive undertaking and pretty much reserved for high dollar racing cranks that cost thousands of dollars. Not for stock cranks. Just the welding part would be more expensive than a new crank. Then the machine work would add to it.

But if you broke a crank. Either of the ends, or in the center, it's junk. and there is nothignto be done with it other than shit can it and get a new one.

I know that those SHO motors will turn mad RPM's and are known for breaking pulleys, if he pulley is broke but the crank isn't damaged just replace the pulley. If you aren't sure what's going on with it. Get me or someone to stop over and take a look that knows what to look for. It may not be as bad as you think.

Supposivly the 1997 SHO is notorious for having a major camshaft failure at around 100 thousand miles. I don't know the specifics but you can go on v8sho.com for more information, I'm not really sure how to pinpoint it. When I find out more I'll post it up.