Tranny stuck in reverse

JaSSon

Alright, this just happened.... I was backing up in aparking lot, after driving home from my gf's house, and when i went to shift to 1st, the stick wouldn't move. It was stuck in reverse. I turned off/restarted the car, no change, backed up a litle more, no change, hit the gas hard enough to make teh wheels hop in reverse, no change. I tried forcing it, nothing. Finally, it just unstuck and i could shift. Anyone know what the hell that was? I really don't want it to happen again.

Guest blueski02

The pedal in my friends alltrac used to stick and he ended up needing a new clutch and some other random stuff. but with a 3 year old car that shouldnt generally happen.

mike

No my clutch isn't slipping. And the car was running, so i don't know how it couldn't be disengaging. Clutch in, car stuck in reverse, can not stalling out, so clutch is good. It's only happened that one time... so far. Maybe just a fluke?

Originally posted by Stolen 5.0:

and reckless op, as for problems getting into reverse, jus put it in 5th first, then put it back into reverse

that's what i've started doing. might not be so hard if i had a new shifter and didn't have to reach so far to hit those gears... :D

Guest Bryce Boley
The T45 trans has a syncronized reverse gear, If it's not a bent fork, it's the syncro ring. They are made out of a soft alloy and wear easily. They will sometimes stick in the syncro hub. It may also be the reverse detent. Thats the thing that pevents the trans from shifting from 5th to reverse. It's basicly just a spring and a pin. But the transmission has to come apart for either repair... Ford manual trans are a pain in the ass.