Deciding on the right turbo / supercharger

Dweet

Everyone who boosts my engine uses the t3 or t3/t4 hybrid. well my car's VAF is 200cfm. I was wondering what a good T3 to go with would be? I want to stay away from the t3/t4 because it has a later spool and I only want to get about 275whp.

Anyways what a/r or T3 from what kind of car should I look for? DSM or JDM turbos it dont matter

And as far as superchargers go what kind is the best for 4 cyl's with the VAF my engine has?

[ 05. November 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Tiburon Tuner ]

Guest mudbutt
for 275 you are going to need a larger vaf than 200cfm 1st off. Im guessing your motor is in the 1.8-2.0 range. Due to all of the crazy sizing, a t3/t4 isnt necesarily spool slower. A good ballpark t3/t4 would be a .48a/r turbine housing with stage 3 wheel and a to4e 50 trim with .50 a/r compressor housing. Another good turbo in that range would be a t28 or a larger gt25 if you want to spend loot. My rec would be the t28 off of a pulsar gti-r. They run around 650 new from www.cheapturbos.com and flow enough for ~320whp with a reasonable spoolup.

there are a few people that have 275 whp on this car without any type of boring/stroking. But forged pistons are a must. stock ones only go to about 250whp. Anyways I have that problem solved and actually have some forged 8.5:1 pistons. I never thought about the T28. I have a T25 sitting here off of a silvia with a .80 a/r but it wont get me the power I need. Im also looking into superchargers.

Guest mudbutt
IMO a supercharger on that small of a motor wont be that great idea due to the power required to make power. As far is the air flow meater goes, what style is it? if it is hotwire, you can probably adapt one from either a ford or nissan. If it is karmen vortex, you may be able to use one from a mk3 supra or 2g dsm. If flapper, a turbo coupe(ford) or mk2 supra may be possible. I know hyundai uses different company motors in various cars. Find out if there is something similar in another car. Another option would be to use something like an e-manage which has the option for a map sensor that takes over after the factory method of monitoring has ran out of resolution. This method isnt all that bad at all, it is actually utalized on a few factory cars. Mr-2 turbo and rx-7 T2 come to mind.

Originally posted by Stinky Pete:

I know the elantra is a 2.3 or 2.4 version of the 4g, otherwise, Im unsure.

actually elantras have the same exact engines as tiburons a 2.0l DOHC 16v engine. now 1995 and earlier models have a mitsu engine in them similiar to a 4g63 but not since 1995 which leads me on my next ramble

hyundai hasnt used mitsu motors since like 1995. The good thing about the older hyundai's using mitsu motors is in the 1990-1994 excels, 1992-1995 sonata and 1990-1995 elantras you can swap a 4g63 smile.gif

ok back on topic.... when i do boost im not going to use a piggyback. I want to go with a haltec. Im not worried about the tuning aspect. Also my engine makes as much power as 1.8 hondas that are in the integras and there are supercharger kits for those.. im looking into getting a centrifugal type of S/C but I dont want to get a huge one. So im just wondering what trim and what brand is the best to go with.

Guest mudbutt
is there a particular reason you want an s/c the jackson racing one for the hondas is a turdbox. Using that isnt a fair comparison at all. If lag is your beef, a properly sized turbo for your power and motor will prettymuch eliminate that issue.Im not anti s/c. I just think they arent the best idea on a smaller displacment motor. I think for your app the 2 turbos I previously suggested would be good. If you are wanting to spend a little more cash, Id highly suggest a garrett gt25. The overall design of the gt series is much more modern than t series and dual ball bearing to boot. I personally am using a gt3040 which is a BIT large for your application. Jon (Slw240sx) has a gt2530 on his ca18det(1.8) and lag is not a major issue. Part throttle to full throttle boost response is super quick. It is all in what you want to spend. You can find a t28 for around 650 I can get gt25 in the 950 range.

well i dont want so spend much more than $300 on the turbo itself. The reason why I want a centrifugal S/C is because i dont need a manifold of any type for it so all i have to do is be creative in where to mount it. Turbo manifolds for my car are hard to come by. Most of them have to be imported from Austrailia or Korea, or made custom. Plus SC i hear give better torque gains. I got an older t25 here off of an S13 Silvia but all the hyundai tuners i talk to say its too small and id need at least a T3. When I enquired about a custom kit over at ITS in dayton they recommended the T3/T4 hybrid. So I dont know, and I really havent seen any proven dynos so I dont really want to make that decision on heresay or because thats a good turbo on a Nissan engine or honda. I have seen one dyno of a T3/T4 laying out 275whp on a tiburon... let me see if I can find it somewhere.. ill reply later with it if i can find it

Guest mudbutt
The brand of motor really has nothing to do with it. You find your power goal, find a suitable turbocharger based on displacment and ve and go from there. and the same is going to be true with a supercharger. ITS will reccoment a t3/t4 because all they deal with is turbonetics and that is prettymuch a foolproof size on a smaller motor. saying t3/t4 is also a very broad statment as there are turbos with that designation with power ratings from 200-500 hp. I would suggest starting small. Try the t25, It should yeald you around 220 peak whp, drive on that, get the tuning right then decide if you want more and how much more. Set your power goals on what you want, not what you read. We could textbook race all day long, but Id personally rather drive a 200hp car than talk about a 500 hp one.

well im shooting for around 250-275whp. Thats the most I can get out of my powertrain without having to put way too much money into it. I could do it for about $2k, but i think ive decided on the T3, now i have to just find the right sized one

Guest mudbutt
the largest t3 is going to be a 60 trim. that is good for a little over 250. the t28 is the same compressor wheel, with a t25 turbine section. If you used the t25 1st you could switchy to the 28 after you decided if you wanted more because they are the same flange. Compressor maps are your friend. Learn to read those and you will be able to better decide a turbo.