WRX CEL codes

burgels

Originally posted by Hwilli:

Does Mark have anything you can use?

I was just about to call him. I read on some of the subaru boards and this is fairly common. Apparently the ECU is super touchy and so people get CEL's all the time for incredibly minor things, so I'm hoping it isn't a big deal.

Originally posted by burgels™:

My CEL is on, is there an easy way to get a code or do I just have to take it in?

Was gonna tell you to check your gas cap. Also...did you know that BP gas can make your CEL come on?

Advance Auto or Autozone (one of them) will put an OBDII and run a scan fo' free! They are between $100.00 and $200.00 to buy...depending on brande, etc.

Originally posted by burgels™:

In an odd turn of events the CEL hasn't gone off yet even after tightening the gas cap, and it has been several days. I wonder if I need to unplug the battery for a bit to force it to reset?

Take off battery terminal and hold down brake pedal for 10 to 30 seconds...will re-set your factory ECU. CEL should go away. If not, get scanned. Do you have exhaust upgrades? There is an easy and cheap fix for that CEL if you do.

Originally posted by Hoop-D:

Was gonna tell you to check your gas cap. Also...did you know that BP gas can make your CEL come on?

That's a big suprise! graemlins/doh.gif

BP gas stations could all blow up and as long as noone got hurt I'd be a happy man for a few days.

Guest ltdah22

Autozone is the place that will pull ODBII codes for free. Also, some cars do not remove the CEL once it is corrected. For instance my 96'Talon will not remove CEL until it is cleared from the ECU (luckily you can just pull the battery terminal for 5 sec).

If you need a code pulled in a pinch I believe there is an 24hr autozone out towards Whitehall. I normally deal with the Westerville (Still a 25 minute drive) one which is open till midnight ever day of the week.