transmission swap

recklessOP

here's my situation...

i'm preparing a car to run in the NASA Vette Viper Challenge. the particular car i'm using, a 1985 vette, came with an automatic transmission (700R4) from the factory, and automatics are not legal in this series. anyone that knows these cars knows that manual transmission cars are somewhat rare, and the particular manual gearbox available in my car (4+3) is not a good transmission. however, the rules state that i am allowed to mix and match any OEM transmission parts available for my model (C4) of car, so i can use any transmission and parts available in the corvette from 1984 to 1996.

my plan is to install a ZF 6 speed from one of the 1989 to 1996 cars. from what i've read, they hold up well under abuse, and are far less prone to problems than the 4+3 gearbox available in earlier cars, my only other transmission choice. gear ratios are roughly the same as the T56 6 speed you find in the new camaros and corvettes...

does anyone know where i can find one of these transmissions? i plan to call some of the corvette salvage dealers, but i was curious if anyone had any ideas of where to find one. any information would be useful. any idea how much they cost used?

i also need parts for the swap, such as the bellhousing, pedal assembly, linkage, etc. the flywheel and clutch are open, so i plan to track down new aftermarket parts for those. any recommendations for a clutch? the car will not be required to hold too much power, and is going to be used exclusively for road racing. if i remember correctly, the power to weight limit is 6.9 pounds per rear wheel horsepower for my class. the only restriction on the clutch is i have to retain the stock clutch diameter and configuration. multi disc clutches are legal.

also, does anyone here on the board have experience in changing over an factory automatic car to a manual transmission. any help with the swap, even simple advice, would be greatly appreciated. i've never attempted anything like this before.

thanks in advance... :D

[ 05. February 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: recklessOP ]