Boost controller reccomendations

jeffmeden

What would you guys reccomend as a good boost controller for a twin turbo VR-4? Ive been looking at the blitz dsbc i-d because i already have the matching powermeter i-d, but if theres a better performing unit id sooner go with that. Any tips? thanks much

Jeff

I have the HKS EVC 4 Silver (limited edition), it rocks:

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/1381.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/160000-160999/160293_133_full.jpg

Never spikes, never creeps, just goes to whatever boost level I set it at and stays there, it has a few useful options too. It does actually make a noticeable difference over a MBC in helping the car spool as well, since it holds the wastegates completely closed until just the point when your preset boost level is reached. They aren’t making them anymore though, but I am sure you can find one for a good deal at a store that still has a few in stock. It does require you to run a “self learn” program on it when you first install it though. It maps your stock boost curve, and then makes adjustments on it from there for your target boost. Only problem is that the self learn requires a few all out 4th gear polls all the way to redline, which in my car is 140. :eek::D There is a backup that doesn’t require the self learn, but then it doesn’t use as active of control over the boost level.

It has recently been replaced by the EVC 5:

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/1652.jpg

They are still pretty expensive though since they are still new, but it uses the same fuzzy logic technology as the EVC 4 for very precise boost control.

Guest badmuthrfkr

They actually discontinued the EVC EZ and decided to replace it with the EVC 5.

The EZ and EVC IV were designed to hold 2.5 kg/cm^2.

EVC Pro was 3 kg/cm^2.

Avoid the Profec B.

smile.gif

Hua, you are saying avoid the Profec B....why is that? That is realy the only boost controller that I've heard people recommend over and over and over.....is it because you can't run enough boost on it? Everything I've read about the fuzzy logic controllers say that they are very finnicky (inconsitent). I'm glad to hear that at least one of them works well. smile.gif

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Hua, you are saying avoid the Profec B....why is that? That is realy the only boost controller that I've heard people recommend over and over and over.....is it because you can't run enough boost on it? Everything I've read about the fuzzy logic controllers say that they are very finnicky (inconsitent). I'm glad to hear that at least one of them works well. smile.gif

The Profec B seems to be limited to around 25psi. Otherwise, it's a good, basic electronic boost controller.

It does lack that pimp factor that more heavily advertised EBCs have (though it is now available in multiple colors), it's too inexpensive for most Supra owners to take seriously, and it won't do your taxes. ;)tongue.gif

graemlins/fruit.gif

Guest badmuthrfkr

From all the single turbo setups that Larry at SP has tuned, he said they just fall flat on their face at the high boost levels. <25psi is ok, he was less impressed with the AVC-R out of all of them due to it's complexity and inability to hold high boost. He suggested the EVC EZ out of all of them. HKS playa! smile.gif

It's just what I have collected over the years since I spent so much time reading and seeing what people say works and doesn't work for them. It all boils down to a matter of personal preference, I doubt any of us on here run >25psi all the time, except when doing dyno runs. smile.gif

I've been using the Blitz SBC-ID. For the most part it has been very stable. It has however gotten finnicky on me twice in extreme cold weather. I plan to flush mount the powermeter and SBC-ID modules in my drivers side visor eventually. Just looking for an extra visor I can send to a shop to get chopped up.

K

Originally posted by MoreRiceThanCR:

I've been using the Blitz SBC-ID. For the most part it has been very stable. It has however gotten finnicky on me twice in extreme cold weather. I plan to flush mount the powermeter and SBC-ID modules in my drivers side visor eventually. Just looking for an extra visor I can send to a shop to get chopped up.

K

finicky as in the solenoid sticks or the screen gets too cold to use? and a q for everyone... the blitz SBC is advertised as being 'sequential' and 'dual' i assume those mean that it can vary boost and uses two solenoids to control the WG actuators... are those two important things when picking a good one?

Some more opinions/observations for anybody who cares to read them:

I know a few guys have run the Profec in their Z's successfully, but I questioned the durability of their control solenoid, and wanted a bit more programmability. I have never used the Blitz, so I can’t really compare anything about it, looks like Kyle should be your resource on any questions with that one.

I know some people with TTZ's have had some issues with the Apexi unit having some overboost issues. I have not had any problems with it in any other cars that I have installed one in, so it could just be an issue with the length of the lines needed for an install on a Z, which are probably longer then any of the other typical installs. They definitely do look cool, being able to see a datalogged 2D map of your boost curve could be useful, and they have a few other neat options in terms of visualization that the EVC 4 does not, but they take up a bunch more space then the HKS EVC 4 or EVC EZ units, and are more expensive as well. The EVC 4 (and 5) also has an overboost protection limit, that you can set at whatever value you want. So if you overboost past your set safe limit, the EVC sees it instantly, and you go into a temporary base boost safe mode with an audible alarm, so nothing gets melted if you weren’t staring at your gauge the whole time.

Switching between your off, high, low, and scramble boost settings is much easier for the EVC 4 compared to the Apexi as well, since it is a matter of pushing one button for any of them, which is a good thing if you want to do it on the fly. The Apexi you have to go through a few screens to change from high to low. Looks like HKS gave it the cool display like the Apexi for the EVC 5.

Ultimately, having a very accurate boost level, with 2 or more presets, were the most important factors on my list. They seem to have the most reliable control solenoid as well, which is typically the weak spot due to being exposed to engine bay heat. Here is how I have it set up, I have basically 4 preset options I can run at with a single push of any of the 4 bottons:

1. When the car is cold, or the roads are shitty, I turn it off, and run a base 6 psi.

2. For normal driving around, on the Low setting I run 12 psi.

3. For my max boost I can run right now on pump gas, I hit the High button, and hit 15.5 psi.

4. For a tank of 100 Octane, I just hit the scramble button, which is set for 30 second durations, and run exactly 17 psi.

For anything else that I might want to be at, I just turn the knob to increase or decrease any of the settings.

Hope this helped, sorry if it was kinda long, as usual. These are just some of the things I looked at over time as I was deciding on which one was right for what I needed. I just happen to be a fan of the functionality of HKS electronics, from having worked with some of their stuff in the past.

Originally posted by jeffmeden:

finicky as in the solenoid sticks or the screen gets too cold to use? and a q for everyone... the blitz SBC is advertised as being 'sequential' and 'dual' i assume those mean that it can vary boost and uses two solenoids to control the WG actuators... are those two important things when picking a good one? [/QB]

No sticky solenoids, no major screen problems, just your typical LCD lathargic response in cold temps.

Finicky as it requires "gain adjustments" when there are major temperature changes to hold boost to the set level.

Dual as in it uses a dual solenoid mechanism which is supposed to provide quicker and more stable boost control.

Sequential as in it has the intelligence to deal with sequential turbo setups.

K

Originally posted by Hua:

[qb]

It's just what I have collected over the years since I spent so much time reading and seeing what people say works and doesn't work for them. It all boils down to a matter of personal preference, I doubt any of us on here run >25psi all the time, except when doing dyno runs. smile.gif

2bar...always :mad:graemlins/bubbrubb.gifgraemlins/bubbrubb.gif

EVC EZ for me.

Scott

Peace

Guest Sidecar9
Every review that I have read rates the Greddy Profec B as number one. To top it off, it is a little cheaper than the HKS. Most mags say that the HKS may look a little prettier, but Greddy gets the job done in the long run.