About a Supra

Guest Sidecar9

Guest Sidecar9
I just bought a 2jzgt motor for my Lexus SC300. I was wondering if anyone knows if my stock tranny will work in the meantime, or if I have to get a supra trany to start? :confused:

Guest badmuthrfkr

5speed or auto?

They work with it, but they won't hold for long, especially with an auto.

You don't need the Getrag.

If you would like to make sure, you can always call up Sound Performance in Chicago.

Aren't all SC300's autos? The one they use is very similar to the tranny that is in the NA Supra, which differs somewhat from the one in the TT:

http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64226

and

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=acfcdce3153dc32ac3c3b43bc3981939&threadid=73071

and

http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73544&highlight=sc300+tranny

It's rather hotly debated as to how strong your stock tranny is and what it will hold. One guy in the last thread has made 427 to the wheels on the stock tranny. Other guys consider a tranny swap mandatory.

No stock Toyota auto tranny is going to survive much past 450-500rwhp, so if you plan on making that kind of power, definately think about an upgraded tranny.

Sound Performance of Chicago makes several versions of upgraded auto trannies for the Supra if you end up needing to go that route. Toyomoto in Miami also has a shift kit that got the stock SC300 tranny into the 11's.

CTC Motorsports in Texas also knows a lot about this swap.

Swapping in the six speed Getrag is expensive, but they are absolutely bulletproof.

Have you been to the forums at ClubLexus.com? There are some ver knowledgeable guys there who have built some sick SC300's. SupraForums also has some turbo SC300 people as well as people who have turbocharged the NA Supra.

Hit the Engine and Tranny section at ClubLexus and do a search on "GTE". You'll be busy all afternoon. ;)

There is also a manual available from a guy in Hawaii who did the swap:

http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt/

The Lexus guys seem to recommend it highly, but it's not cheap. $200. :eek:

Let me know if you need a hand sometime. Sounds like a very interesting project. :cool:

Guest sphen02
Originally posted by VTEC Wheels ®:

You can pick up one for $2750. Well, that's for a 2JZ-GTE. That's what Nippon Motors is asking for them.

they sell the 4a-ge for like 450 bux! thats awesome!!!! can we say summer project=steve swapping in fresh 4a-ge? hehehe

Originally posted by Sidecar9:

I just bought a 2jzgt motor for my Lexus SC300. I was wondering if anyone knows if my stock tranny will work in the meantime, or if I have to get a supra trany to start? :confused:

This would be a fun car to have. :cool: So are you doing the swap yourself or having it done someplace?

Originally posted by No Soup for You:

Swapping in the six speed Getrag is expensive, but they are absolutely bulletproof.

Just out of curiosity, is anybody making a rebuild kit for them now, or are they still considered a non-serviceable item? I remember talking to someone that said there were a few people working on rebuild/upgrade kits for them, but that they weren’t out yet.

Guest Sidecar9
I have an auto sc300 at the moment, and I think I am going to leave it that way. As of right now, I can't confirm that one can even transform an auto to a 6-speed manual. The motor I purchased was out of a race car .. ported and polished .. dyno reads about 750 at the wheels. After intall is complete with aem computer, valve spring upgrade, torque converter, anf possibly and likly a new trany .. I will begin to upgrade the turbos, do intercooler, and so on. Should have a fairly rockin' Lexus by Summers end. I am not doing the swap myself however. I do not have the skills or toold to get it done right. I am looking forward to tearing around town when I am done though. :cool:

Originally posted by Renner:

Just out of curiosity, is anybody making a rebuild kit for them now, or are they still considered a non-serviceable item? I remember talking to someone that said there were a few people working on rebuild/upgrade kits for them, but that they weren’t out yet.

This is still being worked out. There IS a parts list, internal components are orderable from Getrag, and the manual is available outside the US. Currently, our Euro and Aussie friends are trying to acquire the manual. There's a guy out in Sacramento who will probably be among the first to do his own rebuild and share information about it.

I'd expect Getrag rebuilding to be commonplace by this time next year.

Sidecar: Sounds like a fun car. smile.gif Can't wait to see it. Definitely talk to Larry at Sound Performance about the tranny. He really knows all when it comes to the autos. www.sound-performance.com is his website.

Guest badmuthrfkr

I have an auto sc300 at the moment, and I think I am going to leave it that way. As of right now, I can't confirm that one can even transform an auto to a 6-speed manual. The motor I purchased was out of a race car .. ported and polished .. dyno reads about 750 at the wheels. After intall is complete with aem computer, valve spring upgrade, torque converter, anf possibly and likly a new trany .. I will begin to upgrade the turbos, do intercooler, and so on. Should have a fairly rockin' Lexus by Summers end. I am not doing the swap myself however. I do not have the skills or toold to get it done right. I am looking forward to tearing around town when I am done though. :cool:

You can do an AUTO to manual swap, but it's not worth the cash, you are looking at $10k to do it.

As for this motor, you said it dynoed 750HP, and on stock turbos?

Guest Sidecar9
No .. the dyno was not on the stock turbos. I am not sure, but I think it was running on mostly Greddy products and Nitros of course. I will def. check into that for you. Can't wait to get it all done though .. right now I am only a small 189 on the dyno. Good times for a Civic, but not a 4,000 lb. beast. tongue.gif

No .. the dyno was not on the stock turbos. I am not sure, but I think it was running on mostly Greddy products and Nitros of course. I will def. check into that for you. Can't wait to get it all done though .. right now I am only a small 189 on the dyno. Good times for a Civic, but not a 4,000 lb. beast. tongue.gif

That's cool, so who are you planning on having do the work?

Guest Sidecar9
I am having Passen Motorsports do the work. I am getting a good deal. BTY .. I believe that Supra motors have been put in all walks of Toyota cars, incl. GS300, Corola, SC300, Takoma, and according to Turbo Mag. their has been a sucessfull install in a Mazda RX7.

Guest badmuthrfkr

I'll be blunt.

Passen is going to fuck your car up.

If you want it done right, take your car up to Chicago to Sound Performance.

The amount you think you are saving now is going to get you in the end when your car isn't running right at all after Passen is done with it. You'll end up spending the rest to have someone fix their work.

Originally posted by Hua:

I'll be blunt.

Passen is going to fuck your car up.

If you want it done right, take your car up to Chicago to Sound Performance.

The amount you think you are saving now is going to get you in the end when your car isn't running right at all after Passen is done with it. You'll end up spending the rest to have someone fix their work.

Preach on, brother. Preach on.

Hua and I have been around the Supra scene for quite a while, and we know who's who. Every car that rolls out of Larry's shop is done right, and he does nothing but 2JZ-GTE work. I've personally got a number of friends with cars that have come out of Sound Perf. and I've never heard one bad word uttered about the quality of his work or the value of it. If it's not right, he will make it right. He will also make it fast. :D

Besides, if you want a powerful auto trannied car, you will end up doing business with him sooner or later. ;)

Talk to customers, and they will tell you how it is with Sound Performance AND Passen. There is no comparison. I do all my own work, but if I didn't want to or couldn't, my decision would be a no-brainer. My Supra would be up on a trailer and headed for Chicago. smile.gif

Your call. I hope everything works out for you and that we see you and your car out sometime this spring/summer. It would be sweet to see a turbo Lexus running around here. :cool:

Guest badmuthrfkr

Yeah, even my friend Stephen from Knoxville, TN trailered his Supra up to Sound Performance when his engine blew.

He had them rebuild it and throw on some new goodies.

He left the place with 900.4rwhp

I will shutup about this issue now.

smile.gif

Guest Sidecar9
I am going to be blunt on the down low .. I work for Passen Motorsports. LOL No hard feelings though. I hope to have it running by this summer as well, but I am most def. going to give SP a call for some sudgestions. tongue.gif

I have had good and bad experiences at Passen, but it's not really fair to say that they can't do it right. There is not and never will be a perfect shop. Overall if you tell them upfront exactly what you want and you're not asking for a miracle they really are an above average shop.

I think that their are alot of people around America who have had bad experiences with shops. Some not as bad as others, I just feel that it is sad that when people go to a certain shop and have a bad experience, they always talk some smack about it. But when people have a great experience they seldom say something. Just trying to get that off of my chest. graemlins/asshole.gif