Unplugged Mass Air Meter makes Probe run like a champ

DTM Brian

Every car is different....and it's all about the PCM. Some have better "speed density" tables than others, because that's what the car's forced into. And some trip lights for it, others won't.

Obviously, you either have a bad MAF sensor, or some bad wiring.

Guest stevil

I've unplugged mine before, runs fine because the car switches to "speed density mode" like Joe said, it just uses the MAP and O2 sensors, no MAF.

Maybe the MAF is messed up, or dirty. Try some electronics cleaner on the sensor wire, that may fix it. Otherwise, I'd just leave it unplugged if it runs good. :D

Originally posted by John Milner:

I've unplugged mine before, runs fine because the car switches to "speed density mode" like Joe said, it just uses the MAP and O2 sensors, no MAF.

Maybe the MAF is messed up, or dirty. Try some electronics cleaner on the sensor wire, that may fix it. Otherwise, I'd just leave it unplugged if it runs good. :D

hey, if it wrks, roll with it :D

Originally posted by 'No Boost For You':

my mustang runs with it unplugged. seems to idle fine, but it hesitates pretty bad tipping in the throttle, and runs rich as hell through the rev range. definitely trips the check engine light too. strange...

Its going into a "limp" mode. Its running off of extra safe tables. Tables only, someone mentioned ir runs off map and o2. On MAF the there is no MAP sensor its a BAP (Barometric air pressure)

Brian to answer your question, look for a vacuum leak. I had a Tunderbird that ran excellent with maf unpluged, turned out to be a intake gasket leak. The headers got red too. (in this case indicating the lean condition)