Turbo help...

Guest Qwk98svt

Guest Qwk98svt
In a few weeks, I will be hopefully starting my turbo project... It is actully quite simple.Okay in a nut shell, My car has a 2.5L V6 I am swapping to a 3L almost a direct bolt in with some interal mods going in, All I have to do is pull my 2.5L out and take it to my mecahic where he will build the 3L, He will swap all the 2.5L parts onto the 3L down to the plug wires, Then all I have to do is re-install the motor and the turbo kit. Problem is I have never installed a turbo kit and I am not fully confident in my own skills to take on this project by myself. I am looking for as many people as would like to help me out. This whole project should take less than a week. I may be able to do it in my parents garage. Also I have somewhat of an air compressor so it may not be bad, I don't have an engine lift and I just have basic tools. It may be able to be with what I have but it may be harder than it should. I would like anyway who is willing to help out with knowledge,tools and hopefully a location that can be used for a week to please step forward. I will defiantly suppy beer & pizza etc... But as of right now I am pretty broke :( But it would be a fun project!

Do you have a bolt on kit in mind, or are you planning on doing something custom? If you are trying to do something custom I would recommend having an experienced shop fabricate the kit for you if you don't have experience in this area, especially since it will going on a V6 with limited engine bay room. This will of course be more expensive, but it is the best way to make sure it comes out right.

You will need at minimum an engine hoist, and a basic set of hand tools. Jack, Jackstand ect.

I personally would do my best to do this correctly the first time. Allow for ample downtime. Since this is the first time you are doing something like this (it sounds like) you WILL run into snags. I would safely say double your time estimate.

Good luck, your car looks sweet, I hope the powerplant comes out to match it smile.gif .

Biggest advice I can give to you, is read Corkey's Maximum Boost. If you know how a turbo system works, you better know how it all comes together.

Some things if your into fabbing your own:

-Engine Management!!!!!

-Manifold Design!!!

-Fuel!!!!!!!!!

-Sparrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!

Also,

Maybe a turbo setup is to hard to fab, TWIN SCREW it! Twin screw chargers have perfect place on medium / small displacement engines!

Good Luck, and +1 for any help ya need!

Guest Qwk98svt

Incase I was unclear, I already have the turbo kit. It is already made and it is a complete bolt on. I fully uunderstand how it works, and I have thought of everything! I have everything from a 255 lph fuel pump and 36 lb./hr. injectors,NGK plugs, LSD torsen diff, spec clutch, fidenza flywheel, 03' cobra MAF, Turbo XS dual stage boost controller etc... The list goes on for a while. I am pretty mechaniclly inclined I just don't want to go in blindfolded! But sometimes that is how you learn. Thank you for all you have said thus far.

-Jeff-

Originally posted by Jeff:

Incase I was unclear, I already have the turbo kit. It is already made and it is a complete bolt on. I fully uunderstand how it works, and I have thought of everything! I have everything from a 255 lph fuel pump and 36 lb./hr. injectors,NGK plugs, LSD torsen diff, spec clutch, fidenza flywheel, 03' cobra MAF, Turbo XS dual stage boost controller etc... The list goes on for a while. I am pretty mechaniclly inclined I just don't want to go in blindfolded! But sometimes that is how you learn. Thank you for all you have said thus far.

-Jeff-

graemlins/thumb.gif already seeing you have done your homework!

Im just curious about engine management, and who's kit is it.

Guest Qwk98svt

The company is called streetflight you can check em out at www.streetflight.com as for engine managemnet so far all I have is the chip that comes with the turbo kit (burned for this motor and turbo) after the install I have a local guy that can tune my air/fuel ratio for me, But I may end up putting in an SAF-C I dunno yet.

-Jeff-

Sounds like the engine removal/install will be your toughest problem, I'd be more worried about that. The turbo kit should be easier to install, as well as all the other misc. parts like the injectors and such.. although they might be more time consuming. No engine hoist or garage space here, but could help out some probably.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Jeff:

The company is called streetflight you can check em out at www.streetflight.com as for engine managemnet so far all I have is the chip that comes with the turbo kit (burned for this motor and turbo) after the install I have a local guy that can tune my air/fuel ratio for me, But I may end up putting in an SAF-C I dunno yet.

-Jeff-

Im guessing that the 3.0 uses eec, if that is the case you really wouldnt need something like the s-afc, as there are a few good ford tuners in the c-bus area.