305 TPI to 350 TPI (or a 400 TPI?)

Guest MeanVortecV8

Guest MeanVortecV8

I have a 88 firebird formula w/ a 305 TPI in it. I am going to take the motor out and either rebuild it or build a 350 or a 400. I was wondering what all mods to my tpi system I would have to do to put my TPI system that came from my 305 on a 350 to make it work properly? Also, I was tossing around the idea of building a small block chevy 400 and putting my TPI system on it but I've never head of that done before and I can't find any info on it. If you can help me out in any way w/ this stuff I'd be very grateful....

(either PM me w/ some info or just reply to this, thanks)

you're much better off, if you're really looking for more power, to build a 350 or 400...

one piece of advice though... i had a TPI system in my 1985 350 corvette, and i'll warn you right now, unless you make some MAJOR breathing mods to the intake it isn't going to make much top end power...

the TPI was designed to boost torque on a smaller 305 engine. when you bolt a TPI setup onto a 350 or larger engine, it runs out of breath REAL fast! i will admit it'll make some brutal low end torque with the right cam, but don't expect any high rpm (5000+) power out of it...

there are a few aftermarket replacement manifolds on the market, TPIS and Edelbrock to name a few, so you might want to look into those...

good luck!