question about ford modulars...

recklessOP

quick question for you guys...

i've got a bone stock 2002 Ford Mustang GT with the 281 cubic inch SOHC V8 engine...

me and a few friends were arguing the other day over where the engine came from. is the engine in this car from the Windsor or the Romeo engine plant?

i was under the impression that all 1999 and up GT engines came from the Windsor plant. i know the Windsor engines are built a bit sturdier than their Romeo counterparts, and i'm curious which one i have before i start modifying the engine.

anyone know for sure? thanks guys...

[ 14 November 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: recklessOP ]

Quote:

--------------------------

If the 8th digit in your VIN number reads a W, it is a ROMEO 4.6L engine. If your 8th digit reads 6, you have a WINDSOR 4.6Lengine.

In 99 Ford came out with what they call PI heads (performance improved). They are Windsor heads as opposed to Romeo heads.

The Windsor heads use a small journal camshaft and the Romeo heads use a Large journal cam. There are other small differences also but will bolt up to either block. Bolting up does not mean bolt on swap.

The 99 and up 4.6 Mustang uses a windsor engine. The valve lift is .510 intake and .530 exhaust on the Mustang. They would be a better value than the SVO heads for a killer engine build up.

Also the 5.4 PI truck heads are the same as the 99 4.6 mustang GT heads(same P/Ns).

-EECDOC

------------------------

happy? :D

here's what i know...

2002 GT

11 bolt valve covers

8th digit of VIN is X

PI heads (?)

WTF??? :confused: where did this engine come from?

also, i already had the lift specifications on the cams (thanks ford service manual) but i can't find the duration specs or overlap anywhere? anyone know what the stock cam specs are on these cars?

do i have to tear it apart to find out what it is? ;)

i know windsor engines have floating pins and different cam gears... i could also pull the tranny and check for an 8 bolt flywheel... tongue.gif

SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THIS CURSED ENGINE CAME FROM!!! :D

better question... :confused:

if i was to build up a GT engine, is this engine a good starting point? i'm talking block, heads, timing chain setup, and crank... the cracked cap rods and factory pistons are obviously getting ditched. should i track down another engine from a different vehicle and build that up?

maybe a 5.4 liter 32 valve navigator motor... ;)

decisions, decisions... tongue.gif

Originally posted by recklessOP:

better question... :confused:

maybe a 5.4 liter 32 valve navigator motor... ;)

decisions, decisions... tongue.gif

been done, expensive though. The fastest modulars on earth use those. Sub 7 secong cars.

You can make about 450bhp max on your engine safely. If you want to run 451bhp and above, you'll need a bottom end build. Mod max is da shit. Talk to Mike Tyminski at modular performance

[ 16 November 2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]