lowering help

Dave1647545494

I got a drop kit for my truck 2" front 4" rear (Dakota R/T ride height) they guy at jegs was trying to sell me shocks too I didn't buy um. do I need to go back and get the shocks or will the stock ones work ok? I'm planning on an alignment when I'm done anything else I need to do. TIA

I presume the same things apply to trucks...

But generally speaking when you add lowering springs with a stiffer spring rate you have to have shocks to meet the challenge as well.

Otherwise you will have:

1. bouncy ride

2. destroyed shocks very shortly.

I would presume this applies universally, but somene please jump in and save me if not.

smile.gif

you could get away with it, but i would replace the ones on the back in the near future. The fronts ones *probably* won't be too bad. The ride won't be too great until you get lowering shocks on all the way around though. You should be able to get Toxic Shocks from Godfather for, i believe, $30 a pop. Thats what they were when i priced them for my toyota way back when.

Basically, you can get away with factory shocks on a relatively small drop like that, but ride quality *will* suffer. If you don't mind the ride, don't replace them, if it bothers you, go with the toxic shocks. And if you can find them somewhere cheaper, more power to you. Godfather is a very well known company, but I personally have never ordered from them, as I have yet to start any of my projects.

I had a Dodge Dakota that I lowered 2/3 with spindles and blocks. I kept my stock shocks and had no problems.

Try it out with the stockers for a while. Shocks are easy to do later if needed. I had no issues, (bouncing, etc), with my stock shocks.

How did you lower? Front-spindles? springs?

Rear-Springs? Shackles? Blocks?

You must immedeatly get an alignment. Don't put that off at all.

I've lowered two of my freinds s-10's. One re-used the stock shocks and the other I put Toxic shocks on it. I drove both of them and did not notice any difference.

I think with such a mild drop it's not as big of a deal.

Another thing you may want to watch is your factory bump stops. You may want to put shorter polyurethane versions up front if you notice them bottoming out often.

Good luck!