Boost problem

The Pikey

I have been having boost problems for over a month now. For the life of me, I don't know what the hell is wrong. I have changed all the vacuum hoses/bought a new boost controller and a Hallman on top of that. I'm trying to figure out my problem before I throw more $$$ at it. The problem I'm having is that car wont boost past 1.5 bar. I can adjust it lower than that, but not above. Once the boost reaches that level it will stop rising. Could there be pieces of hose lodged in the wastegate?

Edit: I have the HKS 1.3 springs in the car...I have run as much as 2 bar plenty of times.

For anyone that has an HKS GT wastgate. Is it possible for a spring to go bad? How can you tell if the wastegate is not working properly? Having the Twin setup means I have 2 wastegates to worry about.

I don't have smokey start ups...so i don't thing a turbo is going bad.

Sorry for the long winded post..but this problem is driving me insane :mad:

Thanks

Scott

Peace

Originally posted by I brake for no one:

Man, if it were a belt-driven turbo and you were referring to psi, I might be able to assist :D

LOL...1.5 is around 20-21 psi. Not enough for me. I'm always in KILL mode :cool:

Scott

peace

Hmm if i could only challange, when your weak.

Not sure. I take it you have 2 external waste gates.

You checked for boost leaks right? Making sure your BOV isnt leaking?

Have you tried swapping in a MBC, to rule out the bc

If it isnt any of that id say its your waste gates.

I assume you have checked all the hose connections Scott? Could be they appear well connected, but may be "burping" around 20psi and allowing boost to escape. Do you put anything on them to help keep them sealed?

Originally posted by smokinHawk:

Hmm if i could only challange, when your weak.

Not sure. I take it you have 2 external waste gates.

You checked for boost leaks right? Making sure your BOV isnt leaking?

Have you tried swapping in a MBC, to rule out the bc

If it isnt any of that id say its your waste gates.

LOL... :D

The Hallman is an MBC. I'm starting to think an intercooler hose clamp is not tight. I talked to Lee Howie, and he said he was having the same problem with his turbo Vette. Found out it was an IC clamp letting out out air when ever he made more than 7psi.

Thanks for the responses :cool:

Scott

peace

this may be a stupid question, but have you tried to pressureize the lines at one end to find out where this leak is....aka a boost leak test. Im not sure how that would work on a 2 turbo system but there must be some way to throw some compressed air in there.

Hey Scott, there are a few things I would try:

First I would pressurize the system to find any and all leaks. Howard still has the coupler that I made for my car, but I am sure it will be too big for yours since you have two smaller inlets instead of one large one. Your turbo inlet pipes are ~2.5” correct? It only takes me about 5 minutes to make one, obviously for yours I would need two, so just let me know what the actual pipe size is if you want me to make them.

By pressurizing the system on my car to only about 7 psi, I found 3 vacuum leaks, and one MAJOR boost leak that I could not have found any other way, because the clamps all seemed nice and tight. It is easy to do, just hook it up to an air hose, and find where all the hissing noises are coming from. You could possibly have a leak somewhere other then a silicone fitting that could be venting boost, like maybe a crack in one of the intercooler end tank welds or something else that isn't an obvious problem area.

If you don’t find any boost leaks, I would check the wastegates next. I have access to a small spring tester here, so we would have to remove the wastegates, take the springs out, and see if either or both are getting weak. After enough extreme heat cycles (which wastegates see plenty of), any spring will start to loose some of its force ability. It would be pretty easy to look for any tears of the wastegate diaphragms while they were apart as well.

Checking out the bearings in the turbos would be a good idea too. A failing bearing won’t allow the turbo to spin up to as high of an rpm, so it will not build as much boost as it should. You can check this by driving the car to get it up to normal operating temp. And then shutting it off, and removing the inlet pipes. You can spin the wheels by hand by using your fingers on the locknut. They should remain spinning for several seconds under their own inertial forces. I have seen some ball bearing turbos remain spinning for over 30 seconds after shutting the engine off while it was just sitting at idle. If one is bad enough to limit your boost level by that much, it should be obvious.

I am pretty sure you can rule out any exhaust manifold leaks. Anything that large would be very noticeable.

Lastly I would do a compression test on the engine. You never know, it may be getting a little blow-by after all of the miles of high boost. If the engine is starting to get soft, you may have gotten to the point where you aren’t holding/creating enough compression to maintain that boost level. I think this is pretty unlikely, because you would notice it gradually starting to get weaker, but it is easy to check, and it is always good to know if you have a cylinder you should keep an eye on.

If you want me to make those couplers, just let me know, I could probably do it early next week, and they only cost a few dollars each, so making them is really no big deal. I may actually have time to screw around with cars this weekend, so I will probably be over at Jeff’s working on the big white paperweight if you want to swing by, your turbos are so easy to get to it would only take about a minute to check out the bearings if you want a second opinion. See ya.

-Brett

If you aren't busy this weekend, I would like to try and pressurize the system. My turbos are still spinning long after I turn the car off.

I did a compression test...150's across the board.

Taking the wastegates off will be a major PITA...but I might have to redface.gif

Again...thanks for the responses. Got twice as many here than Stupidforums graemlins/gay.gif:D

Scott

peace

Guest turinbrakes
Originally posted by All-Wheel Drive Supra:

I am going to stop by Jeffy's too!

Damn, too bad all ya'lls a bunch of uncoordinated folk or wed be having us a volleyball party tongue.gif

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by turinbrakes:

Damn, too bad all ya'lls a bunch of uncoordinated folk or wed be having us a volleyball party tongue.gif

You never seen a yellow guy play volleyball?

Originally posted by Renner:

Hey Scott, check your pm. :cool:

Thanks Brett :cool: I wish I would have post my problem here when it first happened. I'm sure we would have solved it before the Supra meet.

Scott

peace

Originally posted by The Pikey:

Thanks Brett :cool: I wish I would have post my problem here when it first happened. I'm sure we would have solved it before the Supra meet.

Scott

peace

Are you going to the Supra meet, or are you going to stay home and hook up your flaming exhaust kit? :confused:

Are you going to the Supra meet, or are you going to stay home and hook up your flaming exhaust kit? :confused:
I'm going to go...but I don't know if I'm going to dyno. Unless I get this shit fixed before then.

Scott

Peace